Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

How to I stop Burp from saving out of scope items in project files?

Justin | Last updated: Sep 30, 2016 08:53PM UTC

Hello, I have a project file that is 19gigs for a simple website, because of all the out of scope items that loaded in the background. Is there a way to tell Burp not to save anything for out of scope items in the project files? Thanks, Justin

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 03, 2016 10:32AM UTC

There isn't currently a way to do this. We plan to provide a feature where you can tell Burp not to capture anything in the Proxy history, site map, etc. for out-of-scope items. This will prevent the data ever reaching the project file.

Burp User | Last updated: Oct 03, 2016 02:48PM UTC

Ok good to know - Also Is there currently a way to roll back in a project file? Previously when using state files I would save before doing a directory brute force (using something like DirBuster) that way if I forgot to not pass it though Burp I could restore my state without all of the DirBuster data filling it up. Thanks, Justin

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 03, 2016 03:10PM UTC

You can't literally roll back within a single project file. But you can do the same workflow as you were previously doing with state files. Just close Burp, take a copy of the project file at the filesystem level, and then reopen the project. This will typically be considerably faster than the old way of saving a fresh state file. You could technically try to copy the live project file while it is in use, but this is likely to result in corruption of the newly copied file.

Burp User | Last updated: Oct 03, 2016 08:37PM UTC

Awesome thanks. If I may suggest a potential "feature" possibly a snapshot option where you could save your current spot and revert back to it if needed. Thanks for getting back to me. Justin

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 04, 2016 08:40AM UTC

Thanks for this request. The project file feature uses memory-mapped files, and data is directly accessed and modified in-place. This provides very fast performance and fast shutdown/restore, but doesn't allow for snapshotting and reversion. At some point we might provide a kind of automated or manual backup functionality, allowing you to save a clean copy of a project without the need to shut down Burp.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.