Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

How to encounter the error when you are using JRE 17 + ?

Shivanshu | Last updated: Jan 15, 2022 02:59AM UTC

While opening jar file it says to supply some JVM arguments. 1. --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED 2.-add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED I tried both of them none of them worked. Can you tell the right way to supply those arguments?

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 17, 2022 05:04PM UTC

Hi

Could you tell me how you are launching Burp?

Are you using this command?
java -add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED -add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED -jar path/to/burp.jar

Shivanshu | Last updated: Jan 25, 2022 12:11PM UTC

O thanks that worked!

Umer | Last updated: Mar 11, 2022 05:04AM UTC

Hi, I'm seeing the same error. Saw some other posts on the forum. Most mentioned the same solution. I'm using Burp in Parrot OS (installed with apt), have open-jdk-17-jre. Did have open-jdk-14-jre but, now, can't install with apt. My problem is that I couldn't find the jar file anywhere (find / -type f -iname "burp*jar" 2> /dev/null #provided nothing, also ~/.local/share/, /opt/ & /usr/share/ didn't have burp folder) If I could find it, I would have easily put these two options in the JVM file and there wouldn't be any issue. I hope, I have explained my issue well.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 11, 2022 09:52AM UTC

Hi Umer, Are you using the 'Parrot Security' version? If so, I believe that the Burp jar file is located under /usr/bin and is entitled 'burpsuite' so running the following command should allow you to launch Burp with Java 17: java -add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED -add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED -jar /usr/bin/burpsuite

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.