Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

How do you know which machine/ip initiated the request when viewing target->site map info?

Matthew | Last updated: Nov 01, 2022 05:37PM UTC

I'm running automated tests on 4 machines that are going through the Burp proxy, and when looking at the request, I was wondering which machine/ip initiated it. I don't see this info anywhere. Is it not something that gets tracked, or do I just not see it? Thanks, Matt.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 02, 2022 10:27AM UTC

The target site map aims to display information about the contents and security issues discovered in target applications, so does not include details on the source IP that send the request. To help us see what options there may be to help you identify requests, can you tell us more about your setup, please? Do you have external browsers on each of the 4 machines set to use the same Proxy Listener in Burp as you run these tests? Are the 4 machines all sending requests to the same target application?

Matthew | Last updated: Nov 03, 2022 04:03PM UTC

Hi, Yes, all 4 machines are running Chrome and configured to all go through the same burp proxy on the same port. On each machine I've set the Internet options to go to the burp machine's listener on the same port. All the machines are going to the same target server, so I cannot distinguish it this way. It's not super important, but was just something I wanted to know when I noticed something had an error, so it could be easier for me to figure out which machine running the test at that time had an issue. Thanks, Matt.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 03, 2022 04:15PM UTC

One option would be to set up additional Proxy Listeners so Chrome on each machine could be pointed at a different Proxy Listener. You could then see which requests came from which machine in the Proxy History tab if this would be useful. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.