Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

How do I re-link burp to a /tmp/burpxxxxxxx.tmp/ folder after it crashed

Cory | Last updated: Jul 17, 2015 05:19PM UTC

I had TONS of data in that burp session before Java gave up and cashed. I absolutely need it back.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 19, 2015 01:49PM UTC

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the only thing that Burp stores in temp files is raw request/response buffers. For example, if you had generated scanner issues, then somewhere in the temp files will be the requests and responses reported with those issues, but no other data. We're currently working on a replacement to the whole current usage of state files and temp files, which will let you create a single project file when you start work, and Burp will save all its data into it incrementally in real time. So in the event of a crash you'll always be able to recover your work, regardless of whether you specifically saved it recently. We hope to have this feature available within the next couple of months.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 19, 2016 09:51AM UTC

You can't restore a Burp project from temp files. The best approach is to use a disk-based project. Then Burp will store its data in the project file, rather than temp files.

Burp User | Last updated: Apr 03, 2017 01:12PM UTC

Hi, I had the same error, my /tmp get full (80GB) and I need to restore all the data, it is posible?

Burp User | Last updated: Sep 18, 2019 03:31AM UTC

So hows that "Feature" coming along to restore progress from .tmp files? Considering burp crashes every chance it gets...

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 18, 2019 08:13AM UTC

There is no feature to restore work from temp files. Temporary projects are useful for quick tasks where your work doesn't need to be saved. All data is held in memory, and is lost when Burp exits. Disk-based projects allow you to save your work and resume it later. All data is held on disk in a project file. - https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/getting-started/projects If you want to ensure your work is saved you should use a disk-based project.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.