The Burp Suite User Forum will be discontinued on the 1st November 2024.

Burp Suite User Forum

For support requests, go to the Support Centre. To discuss with other Burp users, head to our Discord page.

SUPPORT CENTRE DISCORD

Create new post

Horizontal Scrolling in Proxy History on Linux (+ Tiling Window Manager)

Rudolf | Last updated: Jun 05, 2024 07:52AM UTC

Good morning, I would like to report an issue that me and other people in our office are facing. We use BurpSuite Professional in Kali VMs, and most of us use tiling window managers. When scrolling horizontally with the thumb wheel, e.g. on a Logitech MX Master 3, in the Burp Proxy History, the application creates a pop out of the currently selected reqeust/response, instead of actually scrolling left/right. We observed the same behavior with these two windows managers: i3 and xmonad. I couldn't test it on a non-tiling window manager. On Windows horizontal scrolling works as expected. Thanks :)

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 05, 2024 03:21PM UTC

Hi Unfortunately, due to the specific hardware requirements, this will be pretty difficult for us to try and replicate. Normally, popout behavior is triggered by a double click. Are you able to use some sort of key-capturing software on your Kali box to check what sort of key/mouse movement the thumb scroll is registering as in your VM? You should be able to perform a horizontal scroll using "shift + scroll wheel". If you try this with your regular scroll wheel, does that allow you to quickly scroll horizontally?

Rudolf | Last updated: Jun 26, 2024 08:06AM UTC

Hi Hannah, Thanks for the reply. with the linux tool "xev" I was able to see that the thumbwheel scrolling on our Logitech mouses register as "button 6" resp. "button 7": Output looks as follows for scrolling to the right: ButtonPress event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001, root 0x416, subw 0x0, time 215799534, (207,419), root:(1910,465), state 0x10, button 7, same_screen YES The other mouse buttons are: "button 1": left click "button 2": middle click "button 3": right click "button 4": scroll up "button 5": scroll down "button 6": scroll left "button 7": scroll right The pop-out with double click works as expected; and also the Shift-scroll works for me (though not for my colleague).

Rudolf | Last updated: Jun 26, 2024 08:39AM UTC

Oh and I forgot to mention that for other programs, e.g. normal browser or the burp integrated chromium browser, horizontal scrolling with the thumbwheel also works as expected.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 27, 2024 01:22PM UTC

Thanks for that information! We've put a change into Burp that should address this issue. This should be present in our v2024.6 release which should be available on Early Adopter in the next couple of days. Could you retest the new version once it's been released to confirm whether you are still experiencing this issue?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.