Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Hint how to fix "Embaded browser initialisation failed" or "unable to render rensponse" on Kali Linux VM

Tester | Last updated: Aug 20, 2020 10:33AM UTC

Hi all, As many of you I have experienced a problem with internal browser rendering on latest Burp v2020.8 when running on Kali VM (in my case on VM Fusion). I have found a workaround works for me and probably should work for you. 1. Lets start from the scratch so old versions of Burp need to be removed sudo apt --purge remove Burpsuite rm -r /home/kali/.Burpsuite 2. Install latest version of Burp sudo apt update sudo apt install Burpsuite 3. Change owner and permissions for Burp chrome-sandbox sudo chown root /home/kali/.BurpSuite/burpbrowser/84.0.4147.105/chrome-sandbox sudo chmod 4755 /home/kali/.BurpSuite/burpbrowser/84.0.4147.105/chrome-sandbox 4. Start Burp in following order Open Burp (doesn't matter how - cmd or shortcut) RUN HEALT CHECK FIRST EVERY TIME YOU STARTING NEW BURP - Help -> Embedded browser health check If you skip step 4 (health check) then you get well known "initialisation failed" or "unable to render" message. Even when you open Burp, try to render any website, got error message and then run health check - it doesn't work. It works only when you run health check first, then render websites in Burp. Please let me know if this workaround works for you. For Burp team - please try to fix this. I suppose that problem (and solution) is in internal browser initialisation - during last step of health check there some kind of action - during "Checking headless browser" or "Creating embedded browser window" , when new java window is starting and closing as fast as the blink of an eye which is I suppose chromium window initialisation. When initialised from health check first it works for the Burp 'till close.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.