Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

GUI performance slow to abyssmal under some (unclear) circumstance on start-up

Simon | Last updated: Sep 23, 2019 10:38AM UTC

I have BurpSuitePro v2.1.03 on Debian Buster using KDE. It has generally worked as expected. I ran a scan of a copy of TeamCity. This generated ~250,000 requests overnight. Now each time I open the project file (~768MB) the response from the GUI is slow. Specifically when it is sorting the "Dashboard", "Issue Activity" panel for the first time. For example: After start-up, I select "Medium" severity, the "Medium" button is shaded light grey immediately, it is taking well over a minute (around 2 minutes) to colour the "Medium" selector, and establishing that there are zero Medium severity issues recorded. During this period the GUI is unresponsive. I have tried disabling SWAP, to be sure everything is in RAM. I have tried allocating additional memory on start-up ( -Xmx4192m ) I have tried disabling all extensions (from the same file) There are 46231 issues in the control in question (most of them "Detailed error message revealed" - yay my test VM isn't hiding its errors), so presumably Burp Suite is just scaling poorly with number of issues in some way. Also some of those requests were my use of Intruder creating objects in TeamCity with longer and longer names to see at what point things broke. Although most of those were a few hundred bytes at most. The 768MB burp file appears to be cached in RAM, I have over 3GB of buffer cache, and attempts to cat or (simple) grep of the project file are far less than 2 seconds to complete.

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 23, 2019 02:28PM UTC

Thanks for this report, Simon. Do you have performance feedback enabled (User options > Misc > Performance feedback)? If so, could you provide us with your diagnostics (Help > Diagnostics)?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.