Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

GTK theme not rendering correctly

Ragnar | Last updated: Jun 10, 2020 08:01AM UTC

Hello, first of all, sorry if I categorized it wrong but I feel it is a bug. Secondly, I searched through the forum and did not see any similar problems. Description of the problem: Anytime I use GTK+ theme and run Burpsuite (community or professional), the GTK canvas (GTK background property) renders white. It is good when using light GTK system theme, but sadly I use dark theme and the render is still white. I changed many GTK themes but none of them actually rendered for me black (or at least any color from the theme itself). I tweaked little bit the gtk.css (as what I have understood BurpSuite is using GTK3), but I was not able to change the background color. See this screenshot to orientate better. https://imgur.com/Fw7qvAQ My question us - what kind of GTK property do you use/should I use to render the background in the theme color, or at least dark when using dark OS theme? My system: I noticed the same behaviour on my Fedora installation as well as Kali. Fedora - KDE Plasma 5.18 with We10xos theme - Forced to use GTK McOS-Catalina-Gnome-1.3.2 (I tried several themes - ArcDark GTK, Adwaita-dark, Nordic dark, all the same). Kali - 2020-02 release - GTK Flat Remix dark Observing the same behaviour. Thank you. R.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 10, 2020 01:29PM UTC

Can you clarify which theme you are talking about? Is this locally on Kali? If you use the default settings, does Burp load properly? Does the issue occur across multiple versions of Burp? What are you trying to do?

Ragnar | Last updated: Jun 10, 2020 02:47PM UTC

Hello, everything is described above in my post. Clarification: 1. I am talking about GTK+ theme (only in native linux build). 2. Yes, it is locally on Kali (VM) as well as my Fedora (installed on laptop's drive). 3. This is default settings, I am just using dark GTK theme, not light. 4. Yes, it does occur across multiple version of Burp (I started using Burp with GTK+ theme about half year ago and observing the same behaviour). 5. I am trying to achieve black background and coherent look when using ANY dark theme GTK system theme (if you look at the screenshot, you can see white background rendered when using dark theme, but in GTK.css is clearly stated bg_color:black). Thank you, R.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 11, 2020 02:05PM UTC

Have you considered setting the theme within Burp? User options > Display > Look and feel. Burp does not automatically pick up e.g. a dark-mode theme based on your OS. This is set within the application itself.

Ragnar | Last updated: Jun 11, 2020 06:44PM UTC

I probably did not explain myself clearly. In the application itself, I set the GTK+ theme. In the OS, I have set GTK dark theme to use. As seen from the picture, Burp is picking up at least some of the colors, because the buttons where you pick a project are black (e.g. color from GTK dark theme). When I change the GTK theme in OS to any light one, the buttons and font color are changed but the background never, which is my point. Is there anything that can be done? Thank you, R.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 12, 2020 10:08AM UTC

Can you please send us further information and diagnostics via email? support@portswigger.net Please send additional screenshots and a video, if possible.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.