Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Grep Extract Not Working Properly

Tim | Last updated: Mar 24, 2020 03:27PM UTC

Grep extract rules stopped working properly in recent versions. As recently as 2020.1 and still in 2020.2.1, creating a regex rule for a finished attack will not apply to the results, and string parsing rules only apply after enabling and disabling the rule after creation. When creating a regex rule, viewing the results and returning to the options tab shows a broken regex in the list of rules. Recreating the regex does not fix it and results in the same behavior. I have not tested this by creating the rule BEFORE the attack is run, so it may behave differently that way. Thanks!

Ryan | Last updated: Nov 09, 2020 04:45PM UTC

Is this going to be fixed any time soon? This is a really annoying issue. I found a workaround though. You can define a regex extract and then repeat the attack from the menu: Attack -> Repeat

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 10, 2020 09:13AM UTC

Ryan, this was fixed in 2020.4. I would suggest using the latest version of Burp (2020.11) to avoid any issues.

Ryan | Last updated: Nov 10, 2020 08:21PM UTC

I'm already on 2020.11. This is still an issue for me and at least 3 of my co-workers (who have actually been putting off upgrades for months due to this bug being introduced). I've made a walkthrough of how to reproduce the issue. https://imgur.com/a/53e7u2r

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 11, 2020 08:57AM UTC

Hi Ryan, Thanks a lot. I have replicated it. We will update this thread when the issue is fixed but cannot provide ETA, unfortunately.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 07, 2021 02:59PM UTC

Hi everyone I just wanted to let you know the bug in Intruder Grep Extract will be fixed when we release Intruder 2.0, which we are currently working on.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.