Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Full server response not showing in 'Define Custom Parameter'

Justin | Last updated: Apr 04, 2022 06:37PM UTC

Hi - I'm trying to use the Macro Editor's "Define Custom Parameter" function to pull a JWT out of a server response, but the response viewer in the DCP window does not show the entire response. The viewer's display width seems to be capped at 500 characters, and is not wrapping properly. The remaining content is still there, as I can use the arrow and ctrl keys to move the cursor beyond the edge of the displayed content, and copy (ctrl-c) things out of the window, but it is extremely difficult to use the "Extract from regex group" feature blindly in this manner.

Justin | Last updated: Apr 04, 2022 06:39PM UTC

I forgot to mention; I'm running Burp Suite Pro v2022.2.4

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 05, 2022 10:53AM UTC

Hi Justin, We have had a few issues with displaying JSON based requests in some of the message editor windows within Burp - it seems likely that you are hitting one of these issues. I have just carried out a quick test with a simple JSON based request and it does look like the 'Define Custom Parameter' message editor is affected. The good news is that we have implemented a fix for these issues in the 2022.3 'early adopter' release. Are you able to obtain the latest 'early adopter' release (this is currently 2022.3.2 but any version from 2022.3 onwards will contain the fix) and double check whether this has indeed solved this issue - you can obtain these versions directly from our releases page below: https://portswigger.net/burp/releases#professional

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.