Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Filtered Proxy History - Keep Selected Item as Focus in Viewport When Removing Filter

Kevin | Last updated: Feb 27, 2023 10:13PM UTC

I'm trying to determine if the functionality I am looking for would be possible via an extension or if it is something that would have to explicitly be built into Burp. The functionality is this: I'd like to be able to apply a filter in the Proxy history ('Filter by search term'), select/highlight/choose/give-focus-to one of the rows/entries in the filtered results, and then when the filter is removed, the selected/highlighted/chosen/focused-item stays selected and centered in the proxy history viewport; right now whenever the filter is removed, the viewport window always sets the focus to the beginning (or end, depending on current sort column) of the history list (although the selected item from the filtered list will stay 'selected' unless of course one clicks elsewhere in the viewport. In a similar fashion, it would be nice to be able to have a 'Goto Row' functionality in the Proxy history Filter drop down so that rather than filtering the list, one just provides a row index # and the viewport window will then goto and display the chosen row in the center of the viewport. The inspiration for the functionality is that I frequently use filters to find particular requests and after finding them, I am really interested in the traffic before/after that request which has been filtered out. Right now the only work around I have is to highlight an entry in the filtered results, remove the filter, and then scroll through proxy history to find the highlighted item. This kind of works ok when the proxy history his small but on when the proxy history has grown (which can happen very quickly), this doesn't work so well. I keep thinking I am missing a simple way to do this so I've started looking at whether its' possible to get this functionality via a custom extension. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 28, 2023 03:17PM UTC

Hi Thanks for getting in touch. I'm afraid this isn't something that could be achieved with an extension currently. We have made a note of your idea, though, so we can review it and see if this is something other users would also be interested in. Thanks for the detailed explanation of your scenario :)

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.