Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Feature Request: Enhanced System Proxy Configuration

AbdAlrahman | Last updated: Apr 25, 2024 06:54PM UTC

Hello there, I'm suggesting a feature enhancement for Burp Suite regarding proxy configuration. Currently, in `Charles proxy` there's a convenient option under Proxy > Windows Proxy (CTRL + SHIFT + P) That seamlessly configures the proxy settings in Windows, redirecting all traffic from Chrome and other applications. Additionally, it can set excluded hosts to ignore the proxy. I've found the following extension: https://github.com/bbolmin/BurpAutoProxy While it enables proxy functionality, it's fixed to 127.0.0.1:8080 and cannot add excluded hosts. Moreover, there's no option to control the startup behavior, such as enabling the proxy automatically on startup. I believe implementing these features natively would greatly enhance the usability and flexibility of Burp Suite. Thank you for considering my suggestion.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 26, 2024 04:35PM UTC

Hi Thanks for the feedback! Just to get an idea of your use case, do you typically configure multiple browsers for use with Burp or use other tools to proxy traffic through Burp? Burp built-in browser (Proxy > Intercept > Open browser) should be configured and ready to use as soon as you launch Burp.

AbdAlrahman | Last updated: May 02, 2024 11:01PM UTC

Hi, I normally use my main browser (chrome) and I want an easy way to turn on or off the burp proxy, so it would be nice if there is a way to do that with just one click or shortcut keys. I know there are many extensions to do that such as FoxyProxy, but I don't want to install an extension just for that, also I sometimes need to set the burp proxy for the whole system to debug other apps for example the built-in browser of a C# application. I have to go to Settings > Network & Internet > Proxy > Manual Proxy Setup and configure it to use Burp manually On my Windows machine. Charles Proxy can do it with one click and configure the excluded hosts to bypass the proxy. Thank you ♥️

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 07, 2024 04:34PM UTC

Thanks for that information! We've raised a feature request for this functionality. However, it is more likely to be in our "long-term ideas" bucket. We monitor feature requests for popularity to help us prioritize features that will most impact users. If there's anything else we can help with, then please let us know.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.