Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Fake Responses to Requests

Konstantin | Last updated: Mar 28, 2023 08:27PM UTC

Hi PortSwigger team, I am currently creating a Burp Suite extension and am searching for a way to fake responses to requests that are processed by the proxy. Basically, I want to drop the incoming request but return a response to the calling browser. Is there such a functionality? I'd say, I searched all the docs but couldn't find something similar. Best regards, Konstantin

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 30, 2023 12:25PM UTC

Hi Konstantin If you were to drop the request, it would then not be passed through to the rest of the extension, and you will not be able to provide a fake response. Instead, if you were to modify the outgoing request - for example, changing the request service to localhost - then you could provide it with a fake response when the original response comes back in. We'll raise a feature request to be able to provide specific responses to individual requests.

AssistantX | Last updated: Mar 31, 2023 01:29AM UTC

@Konstantin Both Http Mock and Reshaper provide this functionality. You can use those to do what you need or take a look at their source code to emulate what they do. Both do what Hannah suggested as an example above.

Konstantin | Last updated: Apr 02, 2023 09:53PM UTC

Thanks a lot :)

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.