Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Failed to download BApp File

Breej | Last updated: Feb 17, 2022 08:49PM UTC

I can successfully access the BApp Store list and can even access the portswigger.net but somehow neither I am able to install any of the extensions nor I am able to update Burp through "Help" menu it will show/load new latest version of Burp but wouldn't let me download it. I have setup upstream proxy and it worked previously but not anymore. Am i missing something ? please advise.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 18, 2022 10:47AM UTC

Hi, Just to clarify, you have no issues clicking the 'Refresh list" button under the Extender -> BApp Store tab (the BApp list is successfully refreshed) but have issues when actually performing an installation of a BApp through Burp? If that is the case, what error are you seeing when you try to install? Similarly, are you shown an error when you try to perform a software update through the Help menu option?

Breej | Last updated: Feb 18, 2022 12:42PM UTC

Hello, Yes the list is getting refreshed successfully but if i try to install any BApp it is failing with error message "Failed to download BApp file". Similarly, if i try to update Burp through Help > Check for updates / Download other installers, it will prompt me to select the build that I want to download along with Version, Description and Release notes but once I hit download the message reads - "Download Failed. Please log in to https://portswigger.net/users and download Burp manually."

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 21, 2022 11:47AM UTC

Hi, You mention that this exact setup used to work for you - is it possible that something has changed from your side that is impacting your ability to retrieve files from portswigger.net?

justanotheruser | Last updated: Jul 13, 2022 05:03PM UTC

Good afternoon, I recently started running into this issue. Can you please confirm where the files for Burp and the Bapp store are actually being hosted? I see that https://portswigger-cdn.net/ exists. My environment is very strict and I would like to know all URLs and ports that Burp Suite needs to function in terms of updates and plugins. Regards, Joe

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 14, 2022 05:27PM UTC

Hi Joe, We would recommend white listing both portswigger.net and portswigger-cdn.net in order to allow Burp to access the BApp Store and perform software updates.

cleon | Last updated: Jul 30, 2022 03:05PM UTC

I'm running into a very similar issue when it comes to downloading anything from the BApp Store or just updating Burp. I get notifications there's an update available, but when I hit download, it fails to download. When I hit "install" from the BApp store, I get "Failed to download BApp file". I know it's something on my end, as if I reinstall Burp, it works fine for a few weeks or maybe even a month, but then I run into the same issue again where I have to constantly clear off burp and reinstall it from scratch. Firewall is not the cause as a reinstall will fix it. Any other ideas with any configuration in Burp or any files in Burp that may be getting Corrupted somehow? Reinstalling becomes a pain when I have to constantly setup my extensions all over again.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 01, 2022 11:05AM UTC

Hi Cleon, As noted in the previous replies, Burp will reach back out to us in order to populate the list of BApps in the BApp Store and also check to see if any updates are available. On the face of it, it does not sound like you have issues with this aspect and the communication appears to be in place (you can populate the BApp Store and are also notified that updates are available). Instead, it is the actual retrieval of the files that is proving problematic. Just so we are are completely understanding the scenario correctly: - You are unable to download uploads or successfully install any BApps from the BApp Store - If you perform a reinstall of Burp then you are able to perform the above actions for a period of time Is that correct? If so, are you reinstalling the same version of Burp or are you updating to a newer version? Are you in an environment where certain file types might be being blocked from download or where there might be general restrictions?

Rui | Last updated: Oct 25, 2022 04:10PM UTC

I am getting the same problem "Failed to download Bapp file"

Rui | Last updated: Oct 26, 2022 12:15AM UTC

FIXED: The solution for me was to NOT drop all out of scope requests (Project Options). Seems the extensions system is blocked by this setting (extensions with updateable components, such as retire.js, also cannot update). This is a BUG. Extensions and other Burp functionality should not be acting on this setting. Rui

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 26, 2022 05:38PM UTC

Hi Rui, The 'Drop all out of scope requests' option should not be impacting on any of the under the hood communications that Burp performs (like checking for updates and refreshing the BApp Store etc) and this is not something that we can replicate here. Are you able to drop us an email at support@portswigger.net and include some details of the version of Burp that you are using and how you have configured Burp (a screen recording of you demonstrating this behaviour would be useful).

Julien | Last updated: Jan 24, 2023 11:08AM UTC

Hi, I got the same problem. When I look the network capture, the TLS server is not sending the Server Hello packet. To solve it, I had to uncheck the option "Disable Java SNI Extension". I don't remember why I have selected it, but once unchecked, the problem is solved. Regards,

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.