Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

failed to create burp project: cannot parse null string.

The | Last updated: Sep 14, 2023 03:47AM UTC

os : windows version: burp suite community edition v2023.9.4 error : an error occurred when starting a project with the selected options failed to create burp project: cannot parse null string. i don't have any idea why is this error occurs. i tried java 17 and java 20 also. idont think java version is the problem. need a quick rply . cuz im working on a project

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 14, 2023 08:09AM UTC

Hi When did this issue first occur? If this was after an update, do you remember which version of Burp you used previously? Do you use the installed version of Burp, or do you launch the Burp JAR file from the CLI? If you use the installed version, if you install an older version such as 2023.7.3 does the issue still occur? If you then allow this earlier version to upgrade to the latest version, does the issue still occur?

Ioannis | Last updated: Sep 18, 2023 09:25AM UTC

Hi, Not sure if this is going to help, but I was getting the same error even when I was trying to create a temporary project. I was running Burp on my host and had removed JRE from my host. Burp was using the embedded JRE environment from the downloaded version every time. I tried installing previous versions back to 2022.12 but it didn't work. Then suddenly installing 2022.05 magically fixed something in registry I believe. Then I was able to update up to 2023.10.1.1. Forgot to mention that I was running Burp from CLI using --use-defaults and --diagnostics.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 18, 2023 10:44AM UTC

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear you've been able to upgrade now. If it happens again, can you please let us know?

Khael | Last updated: Nov 03, 2023 06:28AM UTC

I had the same problem, starting a couple weeks ago. Same error when trying to start burp on the community edition. Uninstalling and installing 2022.5 worked for me as well. I'm also running Windows 10

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 03, 2023 10:40AM UTC

After installing 2022.5 were you able to upgrade to the latest version without any issues?

Burp User | Last updated: Nov 03, 2023 05:30PM UTC

I'm having exactly the same error with the Professional v2023.10.2.4 on Windows 10. The error pops up at the end of the project creation wizard. Tried to re-install the software while cleaning the old installation folder to no avail, tried disabling extensions which didn't help either. It worked just a week ago.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 06, 2023 09:36AM UTC

Hi, For the error that you are experiencing are you able to try the following. If you could uninstall/remove the current version of Burp that you are using and obtain the 2023.6.2 release (available here - https://portswigger.net/burp/releases/professional-community-2023-6-2?requestededition=professional). If you could then install this version of Burp and then launch the software. At this point, you should hopefully be able to use Burp as normal. If you could then use the Help -> Check for updates functionality within the software itself, which should prompt you that a newer version is available. If you could then download the newer version via the update prompt and, when prompted after the download has completed, restart Burp. At this point you should be running the latest version of Burp and should, hopefully, be able to launch and run this latest version as expected. Could you let us know if this workaround allows you to run the latest version of Burp?

Josh | Last updated: Nov 10, 2023 09:34PM UTC

I'm having the same problem. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled the newest version for the link above. The problem persists.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 13, 2023 10:32AM UTC

Hi, To clarify, did you install the older version that I linked to and then updated to the latest version from within Burp itself or have you directly installed the latest version from the release page?

CyberSamuraiDK | Last updated: Nov 13, 2023 02:15PM UTC

Hello Friends. I also had this exact problem. But i followed this: "Hi, For the error that you are experiencing are you able to try the following. If you could uninstall/remove the current version of Burp that you are using and obtain the 2023.6.2 release (available here - https://portswigger.net/burp/releases/professional-community-2023-6-2?requestededition=professional). If you could then install this version of Burp and then launch the software. At this point, you should hopefully be able to use Burp as normal. If you could then use the Help -> Check for updates functionality within the software itself, which should prompt you that a newer version is available. If you could then download the newer version via the update prompt and, when prompted after the download has completed, restart Burp. At this point you should be running the latest version of Burp and should, hopefully, be able to launch and run this latest version as expected. Could you let us know if this workaround allows you to run the latest version of Burp?" And it worked for me, to update burp from version 6.2, launch the software and update from inside burp to 10.3.4

Angel | Last updated: Nov 20, 2023 11:45PM UTC

Same error, but I followed the procedure outlined in the post above, downloaded version 2023.6.2, and it opened without any issues for me.

Amir | Last updated: Dec 04, 2023 03:30PM UTC

The solution of CyberSamuraiDK worked for me.

Henry | Last updated: Dec 06, 2023 08:58AM UTC

Same here, but I couldn't fix it. - tried all the things from the post - tried also older burp versions - tried several JREs Azul, OpenJDK, Oracle and so on... Nothing worked for me.

Henry | Last updated: Dec 06, 2023 09:22AM UTC

Ok, found a solution. Burp needs to be uninstalled completely - then follow @CyberSamuraiDK.

HWANG | Last updated: Jan 10, 2024 06:45AM UTC

Delete Folder C:\Users\"user name"\AppData\Roaming\BurpSuite Reinstallation

Maydaysec | Last updated: Feb 28, 2024 03:36PM UTC

only deleting folder at C:\Users\"user name"\AppData\Roaming\BurpSuite also worked for me.

Ben | Last updated: Mar 26, 2024 12:24AM UTC

Still Having the same issue :/ . Everytime i unistall and install burpsuite it works once than this error pops again . Couldn't find a solution anywhere . Please help

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 26, 2024 08:20AM UTC

Hi, Are you able to send us an email at support@portswigger.net and include some details of the exact error message you are seeing and the versions of Burp you are using/have upgraded to so that we can take a look at this more closely?

Ben | Last updated: Mar 26, 2024 03:45PM UTC

Sure , of course . I'll send you an email now . thank you

Tom | Last updated: Apr 03, 2024 05:46PM UTC

Cannot create a project in burp v2024.2.1.3 I was using Burp v2024.1.1.6 with Java 17 fine. Then I was prompted to upgrade to burp v2024.2.1.3. I upgrade by downloading the jar file. This said I needed to upgrade Java, so I tried Java 22 and Java 21.0.2. Now whenever I try to create a project it always returns the error: An error occurred when starting a project with the selected options. Failed to create Burp project: Cannot invoke 'java.nio.file.Path.resolve(String)' because "<local1>" is null. If I go back to v2024.1.1.6 and keep using Java 21.0.2 it works fine. I run Burp in Windows 10, using the java -jar file. I upgrade when using burp by downloading the later jar file.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 04, 2024 10:04AM UTC

Hi Tom, Are you able to confirm the following for us please: - Are you using Burp Professional or Burp Community? - Does this issue happen when you are creating a temporary project or a disk based project? - What operating system are you running Burp on? - Does this issue happen every single time you attempt to use Burp and create the project or just periodically?

CVEer | Last updated: Apr 05, 2024 02:13AM UTC

Hi Ben I have the same issue as Tom and tried all the solutions mentioned! Burp suite community Yes, It happens while creating a temporary project Windows 10 Thank you.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 05, 2024 09:05AM UTC

Hi both, If you use the latest 'early adopter' version (version 2024.3.1) which is available here, does this work for you: https://portswigger.net/burp/releases/professional-community-2024-3-1?requestededition=professional

Tom | Last updated: Apr 15, 2024 06:48PM UTC

Burp Suite Professional, any project, Windows 10, every time. Using the early adopter 2024.3.1 has fixed the project issue for me.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 16, 2024 06:40AM UTC

Hi Tom, Out of interest, what error message were you seeing when this happened?

Seraph | Last updated: Apr 21, 2024 04:13PM UTC

An error occurred when starting a project with the selected options. Failed to create Burp project: Cannot invoke "java.nio.file.Path.resolve(String)" because "<local1>" is null -- Burp Suite Community Edition v2024.2.1.5, Windows 11. Using Temurin JDK 21, tried both jar and windows installer, both will trigger this error everytime I tried to create a temporary project. Is there any reliable solutions?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 22, 2024 07:45AM UTC

Hi Seraph, Does using the latest 'early adopter' release - version 2024.3.1.2 - resolve this issue (you can obtain this release here - https://portswigger.net/burp/releases/professional-community-2024-3-1-2?requestededition=community)?

Seraph | Last updated: Apr 23, 2024 02:04PM UTC

Haven't tried yet, but v2023.6.2 works properly on my machine.

Seraph | Last updated: Apr 23, 2024 02:04PM UTC

Haven't tried yet, but v2023.6.2 works properly on my machine.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 23, 2024 02:25PM UTC

Hi Seraph, We believe this is an issue that is tied to some of the recent stable releases but, from reports and our testing, only happens when Burp Community is installed in a non-default location (a location different to that specified in the installation wizard). Using the older version is likely to work but we also believe the 'early adopter' branch also does not suffer from this issue either.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.