Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Extension API for WebSocket

Federico | Last updated: Oct 19, 2021 09:42AM UTC

Hi, more and more applications every day use WebSockets. In order to handle everyday assessments, it could be great to be able to be able to add Extensions also related to WebSockets, like IHttpListener to tamper traffic, MessageEditorTab to decode/decrypt WebSocket traffic, IContextMenu for specific purposes and so on. Are these kind of API currently in your Roadmap? Thank you! Federico

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 19, 2021 10:40AM UTC

Hi Federico We will be looking at improving the Extender API soon. WebSocket support for the Extender API is a fairly highly requested feature, so it is likely that we will be looking at this at that time. I've also added your +1 for this feature request! If there's anything else we can help with then please let us know :)

Bill | Last updated: Nov 12, 2021 04:31PM UTC

Aloha, I'd like to add my +1 on this request. The ability to interact with websockets data via the Extender API would be a HUGE improvement. Even just the ability to extract the WS messages via API would go a long way to solving my current issues. Thanks!

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 15, 2021 09:50AM UTC

Thanks for your feedback! We've added your +1 :)

Hell | Last updated: May 21, 2022 04:05AM UTC

@Hannah Is it added yet?

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 23, 2022 08:07AM UTC

Hi Not yet - you should be seeing some changes to the Extender API later this year, although to begin with the new API will have the same capabilities as the old one, with new features to be added later.

Simon | Last updated: Jan 04, 2023 12:15PM UTC

@Hannah Is there something happening in the websocket area? Looking forward for better support in burp...

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 04, 2023 02:32PM UTC

With the new Montoya API, we now have basic WebSocket support, with more features coming in the future! You can check out our new Extension documentation here: https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/extensions/creating

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.