Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Estimating time remaining

Johan | Last updated: Jul 22, 2019 11:52PM UTC

The scanner keeps getting stuck on "Estimating time remaining". .. please fix or tell me how to force the scan to start.

Rose, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 23, 2019 10:33AM UTC

Johan, is the number of requests increasing? If so, the scan is working. It might be that the crawl phase is taking a long time. How long have you waited?

Burp User | Last updated: Nov 01, 2019 05:28PM UTC

I have the same issue. I basically have no idea when it will finish, should I leave it for 24 hours or should I stop it?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 04, 2019 09:38AM UTC

Hi Dima, I have replied directly to your email query.

Rui | Last updated: May 02, 2020 01:59AM UTC

Same problem here. Why is this happening? 18,000 requests, need to stop crawling and start running actual tests.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 04, 2020 08:00AM UTC

Hi Rui I have replied to your separate forum post.

Ruchika | Last updated: Nov 18, 2020 06:08AM UTC

Hi There, I am Using trial version of BurpSuite Professional. Getting 5 hours estimates time while crawling the website. Its more than that and now it shows 19 hours. Please suggest what should be done here.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 18, 2020 08:36AM UTC

Hi Ruchika In your scan details request counter, can you see if the request counter is still increasing, or if it has stopped? When scanning, there are two different phases, crawling, and auditing. Does your scan go from "Crawling, 5 hours remaining" to "Auditing, 19 hours remaining"?

Ruchika | Last updated: Nov 19, 2020 11:43PM UTC

Yes Hanna. That's correct. However, still I feel the time is too much. Will it be possible for you to give me the list of reasons that I can rule out from the test environment and try. Thanks, Ruchika

Ruchika | Last updated: Nov 19, 2020 11:44PM UTC

The crawl was started at 15:00 on one day and went upto 6:50 AM next day. Is it usual behaviour?

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 20, 2020 03:54PM UTC

Hi Have you had a look at your crawl and audit configurations? You can change the depth, speed, and accuracy of the crawl and audit. There are also a lot of other configurable options available. You can find out more in our documentation: - https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/scanning/crawl-options - https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/scanning/audit-options

Mr | Last updated: Mar 09, 2021 01:26PM UTC

I'm also having some issues how can I fix this

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 10, 2021 03:54PM UTC

Hi Do you have some more details on the issues you are encountering?

V | Last updated: May 09, 2021 07:48AM UTC

Hi, The audit and crawl process keeps running forever and the number of requests are not increasing. I waited for more than 12 hours and still the status remained same. Even the estimated time keeps on increasing, not sure about the root cause here. When checked via target server, no new requests appear in the log file. Can anyone please help?

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 10, 2021 11:12AM UTC

Hi, Can you please email support@portswigger.net with the information below? - Have you changed any crawl/audit configuration from the default? - Is it locking up during the crawl or audit? Which phase? - If it is during the crawl, can we have the logs? (Scan Configuration > Crawling > Crawl Optimization > Select the cog icon > Enable logging > Specify a directory) - Is it the progress bar that is not moving, the request counter, or both? - Does pausing/unpausing start it back up again? - Was there any system activity that lined up with the lockup, such as it going to sleep? - Can we have the diagnostics taken whilst the scan is stuck? Please share as many screenshots as possible in the email. Anyone else facing this issue in the future, please do the same.

UMESH | Last updated: Jan 11, 2022 05:42AM UTC

Hi I have started the New Scan with Crawling and Auditing option. The Event log shows Crawl started. But the Task pane showing "Crawling Configuration 1" :- "Unauthenticated Crawl. Estimating time remaining" "0 location crawled" This message is being shown since couple of hrs. now. I stopped and started new scan with same configuration. still seems like it stuck at the first step. When I do only crawl (without Auditing) is starts crawling immediately.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 12, 2022 09:41AM UTC

Umesh, please email support@portswigger.net with the information below so that we can investigate this further: - Have you changed any crawl/audit configuration from the default? - Is it locking up on a specific request? If so, please capture the request/response in the Logger and share screenshots (or export the request/response using the context menu) - If it is during the crawl, can we have the logs? (Scan Configuration > Crawling > Crawl Optimization > Select the cog icon > Enable logging > Specify a directory) - Is it the progress bar that is not moving, the request counter, or both? - Does pausing/unpausing start it back up again? - Was there any system activity that lined up with the lockup, such as it going to sleep? - Can we have the diagnostics taken whilst the scan is stuck? - Are you using any extensions? If so, can you try disabling them all and rerun the scans? Let us know if you see any improvement

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.