Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Errors during crawl - event log

Jan | Last updated: Dec 17, 2020 12:05PM UTC

Hi, We are using Burp Professional. And there are certain thing we have no idea how they work and I would like to ask about them: After a crawl and audit, there was a considerable amount of errors found by it, but we cannot see, what kind of errors Burp has in mind: They are written on the dashboard in a given crawl and audit, in a parenthesis right beside the requests, but, they are not listed in eventlog, nor issue activity window. So my questions are: 1. What kind of errors are we talking about? 2. Where are they located and how can I see them? (if I can´t see them, I don´t know what I am dealing with) 3. Why are they not saved even in the automatic project backup (after opening a project event log is always empty)? 4. Why is the event log not saved in automatic project backup? Can it be set so they would be saved? Thanks for the answers.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 21, 2020 12:30PM UTC

Hi Jan, Thanks for the feedback and questions. Please see my answers below: 1. The errors could be related to an unknown host, request timeout, crawled location no longer reachable, too many consecutive audit/crawl errors, insertion point no longer present, streaming response, unknown, or an embedded browser crash. In general, they are probably nothing to worry about if it is just one or two errors - we will just record that the scan check has failed for a specific item in the queue and re-attempt it later in the scan. If you open up the scan queue view in the task details popup then you should be able to find the item which has the error and the reason why. If the error is 'unknown' then please provide a debug ID and we may be able to find out further information for you. Please share this via email. 2. You could try enabling Logger++ or Flow to view the scanner traffic and engage in any requests that receiving a specific response as well as the suggestion above. 3. Unfortunately, this information is not saved in project files but I have raised a feature request for you. 4. Please see above.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.