Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Error: request timeout

Nasim | Last updated: Apr 07, 2020 01:03AM UTC

While testing a service through the repeater and intruder, few of the requests out of hundreds are showing as “Error: request timeout.” There is no response from the service. In the intruder results, only the error column is checked but the timeout column is not checked. What does this error represent? Is this a timeout that happened due to network issues so that the request never made it to our service? Or is it an application issue? How can we get more details/logs about this error?

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 07, 2020 09:50AM UTC

Is the application still responsive when you see the request timeout errors? If not, it may be worth looking at throttling the requests slightly so the application can respond. To help us understand what you are seeing in a bit more detail, could you send us some screenshots to support@portswigger.net?

Nasim | Last updated: Apr 07, 2020 01:11PM UTC

Hi Michelle, it does not affect the application at all. It just throws this error for a few of the requests randomly. It seems those requests did not even reach the application. I just sent an email now with the screenshots. Thanks.

Nasim | Last updated: Apr 07, 2020 01:11PM UTC

Hi Michelle, it does not affect the application at all. It just throws this error for a few of the requests randomly. It seems those requests did not even reach the application. I just sent an email now with the screenshots. Thanks.

Antonio | Last updated: Jun 12, 2020 04:05PM UTC

Hi, We are observing the same error in our environment. Did you resolve the issue on your side? Regards, a.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 15, 2020 08:45AM UTC

Hi There can be many reasons that cause a request to time out. Could you tell us a bit more detail on what you're seeing? - Which version of Burp are you using? - Do the timeouts always occur on the same requests? (The Logger++ extension can be useful to help identify this) - Are you seeing the time outs when using the Intruder tool or during a scan? If some of the information contains details you don;t want to post on a forum then please send an email to supoprt@portswigger.net

Hardik | Last updated: Jun 26, 2020 05:04AM UTC

Burp version:2020.5 Do the timeouts always occur on the same requests? The timeouts occur randomly on any request + there is communication error message with the host url even if app is working. Are you seeing the time outs when using the Intruder tool or during a scan? For me ,its during scan

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 26, 2020 07:51AM UTC

There can sometimes be network protections in place that can mean some requests will time out when an application sees a large number of requests from the same machine. Could you try reducing the number of threads in the resource pool and let me know if this helps, please?

Hardik | Last updated: Jun 26, 2020 04:37PM UTC

Still facing same having max concurrent req as 2

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 29, 2020 09:58AM UTC

Would you be happy to share some more details of the scan with us via email? If so, could you send the following to support@portswigger.net so we can take a closer look, please? - Screenshots of the Scan settings being used - Screenshots of the different tabs in the scan task

Manpal | Last updated: Oct 19, 2020 01:07PM UTC

I have been receiving similar errors of timeouts while the application actually works fine.I have also sent details to support@portswigger.net but the response time from support is too slow.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 20, 2020 10:10AM UTC

Hi You should have received a response to your email from support@portswigger.net, if it's not arrived, please let us know.

Gim | Last updated: Sep 30, 2021 03:38PM UTC

Have this issue been resolved? I'm having this issue while using the scanner with the latest version Burp Suite Pro. Could it be due to the delay in the response of the server?

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 30, 2021 03:48PM UTC

Thanks for your message. This issue can have different causes. Is the site still responsive when the timeouts occur on the scan? Do the timeouts always start at the same stage during the scan/on the same requests? Which scan configurations and resource pool settings have you selected for the scan? If you would prefer to share this information with us directly rather than on the forum, can you email the details to support@portswigger.net, please?

Gim | Last updated: Oct 01, 2021 09:34AM UTC

Hi Michelle, It's fine to talk about it here, as it would help others. Anyways about your question, it does happen only in Active Phases of scanning. The application does not hang up or anything, there were statuses only on the Audit page "Errors: request timeout" on the logger, the web application responded to all of the requests of Burp as per checking on the logger.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 01, 2021 12:11PM UTC

Thanks for the update. There can be a variety of causes for timeouts during a scan. Are you using Burp to perform an automated crawl and audit, or are you performing a manual crawl and then a separate audit? What responses are you seeing in the Logger (screenshots of these along with screenshots of all the tabs from the scan task would be useful to help us see what is happening). Are you able to send requests to the same site using the Repeater tool at the time the scan has issues? If you re-issue one of the failed requests from the audit using the Repeater tool, do you get a response?

Gim | Last updated: Oct 01, 2021 02:11PM UTC

I am using it to Audit only. I have noticed some of the response of the application is on Black and Red on the logger++ tool, which I'm not sure if its a timeout. However, those responses would soon be updated and would get a proper response from the server. For all other responses, I have seen some 400, 500 but the total of those status responses does not total to atleast 10% of all the responses of the server. All other requests are successful, regarding the request being sent to the repeater tool, it works fine on the repeater tool. With no errors whatsoever. This issue causes my scan to stop at Active Phase 1 only.

Gim | Last updated: Oct 01, 2021 02:11PM UTC

I am using it to Audit only. I have noticed some of the response of the application is on Black and Red on the logger++ tool, which I'm not sure if its a timeout. However, those responses would soon be updated and would get a proper response from the server. For all other responses, I have seen some 400, 500 but the total of those status responses does not total to atleast 10% of all the responses of the server. All other requests are successful, regarding the request being sent to the repeater tool, it works fine on the repeater tool. With no errors whatsoever. This issue causes my scan to stop at Active Phase 1 only.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 01, 2021 03:27PM UTC

Thanks for sending the screenshots of the requests over. When you tried sending requests via the Repeater tool did you also try sending some of the ones that are highlighted in red in the Logger, or were you sending different ones in the Repeater tool? Were you using the default scan configuration and resource pool settings for the scan? Do you have any extensions installed? If so, can you let me know if you also see the issue with the audit when the extensions are disabled? Would you mind sending over the output from Help -> Diagnostics from your installation of Burp, please?

Gim | Last updated: Oct 04, 2021 09:03AM UTC

Hi Michelle, as per checking and analyzing all of the timed-out requests, it seems those requests consists of attacks that might have been blocked by the application. Thank you very much for the assistance

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.