Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED when I launch Chromium from Burp Professional

Todd | Last updated: Jul 05, 2023 09:42PM UTC

I've started to get this issue more and more... seems to not happen after a fresh restart. I open Chromium and try and go to my lab and get 'ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED'... If I get that, I cannot surf to any sites ( google, youtube, etc ) without receiving that error. I get nothing in the network panel of dev tools... its just like its refusing to connect. I am not on a VPN. "This site can’t be reached The webpage at https://lab id.web-security-academy.net/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address. ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED"

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 06, 2023 10:20AM UTC

Hi Todd, Just to clarify, what version of Burp are you currently running? Does this happen each time that you attempt to launch a lab or does it only occur periodically? Does it only occur when attempting to launch a lab or do you also see it when first navigating to other sites? Finally, if you use an external browser, such as Firefox, to proxy your traffic do you ever see this error or does this appear to work as expected? I am just trying to gauge whether this is only an issue with the embedded browser and only really happens when first interacting with the labs.

Todd | Last updated: Jul 06, 2023 01:30PM UTC

Burp Pro v2023.5.4 It only happens with the embedded browser. I normally start the lab in a different browser, then copy the URL and click 'open browser' in Burp Pro which launches the embedded browser. I then paste in the URL and get that error. WHEN this happens, I am not able to visit any sites as I get that same error in the embedded browser for any attempt.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 07, 2023 11:30AM UTC

Hi Todd, You mentioned you are not using a VPN but are you using an upstream proxy or anything of that nature? Out of interest, if you close the embedded browser and then reopen it and paste the URL back in to the newly opened browser does this then make any difference or does it result in the same outcome?

Todd | Last updated: Jul 07, 2023 02:28PM UTC

No upstream proxy. And the only way to fix the issue is to reset the laptop until it happens again.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 10, 2023 10:00AM UTC

Hi Todd, Just to confirm, you restart the laptop and then it works again for a period of time or until you attempt to interact with one of the labs?

Todd | Last updated: Jul 10, 2023 08:40PM UTC

Works for a period of time ... I can usually get a few labs in before it gets the tunnel issue again.

Todd | Last updated: Jul 11, 2023 02:10AM UTC

I did just get a windows defender popup about the embedded Chrome (told it to allow) - maybe my defender has been doing something to it.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 11, 2023 12:56PM UTC

Hi Todd, Does allowing the embedded browser within Windows Defender get this working for you on a more consistent basis? Anti-virus software can have an impact on the embedded browser so it is possible this was affecting the running of the browser but it would be good to confirm this.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.