Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

DNS config for private Burp Collaborator

Alexander | Last updated: Apr 07, 2021 12:14PM UTC

Hello. I cant get undersatnd. If I have a existing DNS servers into my infrastructure - I must use it for configuration private instance of Burp Collaborator, right? I dont need create some special DNS for it? Thank you.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 07, 2021 03:00PM UTC

Thanks for your message. When using a private collaborator server, your private collaborator server will run a DNS service for a specific domain (the one that it controls). You will need to make sure that all DNS requests for your collaborator domain are delegated to your private collaborator server. The exact steps to configure this will depend on your setup, but most domain registrars provide a web interface allowing you to configure the authoritative DNS servers for your domain. https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/collaborator/deploying#dns-configuration I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any questions.

Alexander | Last updated: Apr 08, 2021 07:57AM UTC

It's ok, but how it will work in a corporate network, where NS servers already exist? My network admin said, that we will must reconfigure our all network for work with only Burp Collaborator DNS and it is unacceptable. What are we missing? How we must config our network for work with it? Thanks

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 08, 2021 12:10PM UTC

When you deploy a private Burp Collaborator Server you tell it which domain it controls so that it can serve the appropriate DNS records. This is configured in the Collaborator configuration file. This means it would only be responsible for responding to DNS requests for the collaborator domain. It would not be responsible for any other DNS requests.

So if your collaborator domain is:
collaborator.mydomain.net

DNS queries such as
foo.collaborator.mydomain.net
would need to be directed to your private collaborator server

This link may help your network admin to understand the role of the Collaborator Server and how it works in a bit more detail:
https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/collaborator#how-burp-collaborator-works

I hope this helps to explain things. Please let us know if you have any questions.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.