Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Discover Content Default Config Change

Ozgur | Last updated: May 18, 2020 02:10PM UTC

Hi, On the content discovery section (https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/functions/content-discovery) when clicked for an application, the discovery section comes with the configuration which is created with default. I wonder is there any chance exist to change this default values to custom generated (E.g. long file/directory lists disabled & some file extensions are not selected by default.) Changing it for 1 application is not too hard however when sent e.g. 100 applications to the discover content one by one, changing all settings for each other is a really waste of time. Thanks for your help! Ozgur

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 19, 2020 12:34PM UTC

Just to make sure I'm picturing this in the same way as you are, would you need your updated defaults to persist across a single project file, so each time you used Content Discovery it would use the same settings, or would you want the settings to be kept and applied to the next project file you created?

Ozgur | Last updated: May 20, 2020 07:19AM UTC

Hi Michelle, I am starting my projects within loading from a configuration file, so instead of persisting all of the projects I am creating; loading my configuration for the "Content Discovery" section for that project within selecting configuration file would have been great, just like other project/user configurations.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 20, 2020 02:41PM UTC

Thanks for your feedback. It's not currently on our roadmap or backlog but our product team now has a record of it so they can review it and monitor demand. If demand grows it will be added to our roadmap or our backlog of small improvements. Once again, thank you for getting in touch!

Ozgur | Last updated: May 22, 2020 04:01PM UTC

Thanks for the information. Can you ask also the development team about if any workarounds exist for this one for configuring it myself without UI? E.g. if these information are supplied by a file for example which I can change those values (or editing them via binary maybe?). Any insights from their aspect could be very valuable for me, since I am using this feature nearly all the time and configuring from beginning on every time is really a waste of time for me. Thanks for the help again! Ozgur

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 26, 2020 11:11AM UTC

Hi I've checked this with the developers and I'm sorry there isn't currently a work-around that would allow you to change the settings used by the Content Discovery Tool when the dialog launches.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.