Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Disable autocomplete inside Burp

Paul | Last updated: Mar 26, 2018 09:08PM UTC

Is it possible to disable Burp's autocomplete when entering in fields such as search term box in HTTP history? I have issues where it doesn't go away and leaves a blank box or I have to enter what I want and delete it and then re-type it so I can select it from the popup so it goes away. I'm not looking for a way to fix that, I just want that turned off as it will also sometimes block content I need to see while typing.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 27, 2018 01:10PM UTC

Hi Paul, Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately there isn't a way to disable autocomplete. We were made aware of some issues with autocomplete on Linux last year and made some fixes. Please upgrade to the latest version of Burp to see if that helps. If the problem keeps occurring with the latest version, can you tell us exactly what OS and window manager you're on. Someone else mentioned issues with fvwm.

Burp User | Last updated: Mar 27, 2018 02:08PM UTC

I'm using the latest pro version and I see it across systems including Windows 7/10, Ubuntu 16.04, and Mac High Sierra. I'm using the executable that is part of the Burp installation. The autocomplete box not wanting to go away happens most of the time when the autocomplete box appears and I'm typing content that does exist or is close to something else. The box doesn't want to go away unless I actually select the item from the list. Additionally, the autocomplete box is working as it should when it blocks content. For example, I might be trying to type something into the search field that I'm reading from the http response that might be directly above the search field. I think it would be great if there was an option to disable autocomplete.

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 27, 2018 02:14PM UTC

We've examined this functionality and have concluded that the autocomplete function is going to remain as it is for the time being. We'll review this decision based on user input going forward.

Burp User | Last updated: May 29, 2018 06:58PM UTC

I personally don't care whether autocomplete can be disabled or not, but the popup persisting in the UI is insanely annoying and needs to be fixed somehow. Generally I've found the behaviour is inconsistent where sometimes it closes and sometimes it's stubborn, but right now I have a session in a state where it flat out refuses to close: even if I switch between tabs, it's still stuck on top of the UI. It also seems to retain duplicate values in the list at times. Ubuntu 18.04, default window manager, but I've had this on previous versions of Ubuntu as well. On Windows I haven't had any issues.

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 30, 2018 07:36AM UTC

Jon, we're currently working on a fix for this popup issue. We hope to have it ready for the next release.

Burp User | Last updated: Jun 20, 2018 03:33PM UTC

One of our testers says this appears to be fixed in 1.7.34, and I wasn't able to get it to misbehave after a few minutes of playing with it. Thanks!

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.