Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Deletion of content from website

Student | Last updated: Oct 30, 2017 10:10AM UTC

Can burpsuite be used to delete content from a website? I think I accidentally deleted something from a live one. If it can be used, could you please tell me the way it could be used to delete the contents of a website? (The website doesn't have any option to delete content on the front end)

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 30, 2017 10:50AM UTC

There are a number of ways that Burp Suite could modify the content of a web application. Like any security testing software, Burp Suite contains functionality that can damage target systems. Testing for security flaws inherently involves interacting with targets in non-standard ways that can cause problems in some vulnerable targets. You should take due care when using Burp, read all documentation before use, back up target systems before testing, and not use Burp against any systems for which you are not authorized by the system owner, or for which the risk of damage is not accepted by you and the system owner. Without knowing specific details about the application and which tool/s you were using it is difficult to offer further advice. Could you provide us with some more details? If privacy is an issue you can contact us at support@portswigger.net.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.