Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Debug Java-Project

NazarMedeiros | Last updated: Oct 12, 2016 01:15PM UTC

Hello, I am writing my own extension for burp and I was wondering if someone could tell me, if there is a way I can use the debug mode in my eclipse project to detect bugs etc.? The current situation is that whenever I change something in my code, I build a new .jar file and add this to burp. Best regards, Nazar Medeiros

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 13, 2016 08:13AM UTC

Before the current Extender tool was created, Burp was able to load a single Java extension by looking in the classpath for a class named burp.BurpExtender. Burp still supports loading legacy extensions in this way. So what you can do is create a project to work on your extension, add the Burp JAR file to the project as a library, and start Burp by calling its main method in burp.StartBurp.main(). This will launch Burp as normal within the IDE, and Burp will find and load your extension code from the current classpath.

Burp User | Last updated: Oct 13, 2016 09:55AM UTC

Thank you so much Mr. Stuttard!! This is the best answer I received to far =) Now I know whom I'm gonna ask =) Anyway there is something I would like to know. 1.) I created a simple java application project with eclipse 2.) I downloaded the latest .jar file and added this to my library 3.) In my java main method I called StartBurp.main() Example: public static void main(String[]args) { System.out.println("Einstiegspunkt"); StartBurp.main(args); } @Override public void registerExtenderCallbacks(final IBurpExtenderCallbacks callbacks) { // keep a reference to our callbacks object this.callbacks = callbacks; // obtain an extension helpers object helpers = callbacks.getHelpers(); // set our extension name callbacks.setExtensionName("Macro extender"); ... some other code Now the thing is, every time I start my program or use the debug mode, burp launches and I have to configure specific settings. Of course the reason is my main-method. I was wondering if there could be another way, which opens the IDE only once. Bets regards, Nazar Medeiros

Burp User | Last updated: Oct 13, 2016 10:08AM UTC

Ok, I found out that eclipse supports live changing of the code while debugging it. I guess there is no need to terminate the application and restart it, when code is changed. Best regards, Nazar Medeiros

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.