Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Custom extension not marking requests as "Edited"

Graeme | Last updated: Nov 03, 2022 01:07PM UTC

I've made an extension in Python that generates and inserts a custom header into all HTTP requests, and it works as-in the custom header is added correctly, but the requests do not have an Edited and Original version. All I see in Burp is the Original request. My plugin registers an HTTP listener and inside processHttpMessage() it replaces the entire request using messageInfo.setRequest(). Is there something else I should do for Burp to see the message as "Edited"?

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 03, 2022 03:22PM UTC

Hi Are you viewing this in the Proxy History tab? This occurs due to the flow of information through Burp and the order that different modifications happen. As a simple overview, a request flows through Burp in the following order: Client -> Proxy/Proxy listener -> Proxy history -> Burp's network stack -> HTTP listener -> Logger -> Application If you were to use a Proxy Listener instead of an HTTP Listener, then you would be able to view both the original and edited request in the Proxy History.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.