Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Crash on Installer on latest Fedora 35

Ollie | Last updated: Dec 18, 2021 06:48PM UTC

Had a report that the latest Fedora 35 will cause a crash with the installer. 'I downloaded the jar file and it worked. the one with the embedded JRE crashes' Is what was reported to me.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 20, 2021 09:43AM UTC

Hi Thanks for getting in touch. Do you know if the person who had this problem was using the x86_64 or the ARM aarch64 version of Fedora 35?

Ollie | Last updated: Dec 21, 2021 08:46AM UTC

Hi Michelle, x86_64 Ollie

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 21, 2021 01:58PM UTC

Hi I've done some tests this morning with Fedora 35 Workstation and I'm not seeing a crash with the latest stable or early adopter installers. Can you ask your colleague who had the issue to email support@portswigger.net with a few more details to help us investigate and try to replicate this one, please? It would be good to know the version of Burp they're trying to install, at what stage the crash happens, and whether there are any errors displayed around that time.

Ollie | Last updated: Dec 23, 2021 09:56AM UTC

// Crash $ echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP GNOME $ ./burpsuite_community_linux_v2021_10_3.sh ... line 621: 350467 Aborted (core dumped) $INSTALL4J_JAVA_PREFIX "$app_java_home/bin/java" -Dexe4j.moduleName="$prg_dir/$progname" -Dexe4j.totalDataLength=229190794 -Dinstall4j.cwd="$old_pwd" "--add-opens" "java.desktop/java.awt=ALL-UNNAMED" $INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS -classpath "$local_classpath" install4j.Installer3680162217 "$@" // // Versus non crash // $ unset XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP ./burpsuite_community_linux_v2021_10_3.sh [works] // // Other notes // "I tried it in a docker f35 and it didn't crash. narrowed it down to that"

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 23, 2021 12:01PM UTC

Thanks for the update. I've been having a chat with the developers this morning and they've asked it if would be possible to send over the core dump to support@portswigger.net for them to have a look through.

Ollie | Last updated: Dec 25, 2021 07:32AM UTC

I will try and get a copy. Was it not possible to replicate via the above steps?

Ollie | Last updated: Dec 25, 2021 07:32AM UTC

that is using Gnome

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 05, 2022 11:00AM UTC

I've been running some checks here and confirmed the setup we were using for the tests here was using Gnome. Going through these checks though I did spot another difference. If you use sudo ./burpsuite_community_linux_v2021_10_3.sh with Gnome then the installer runs successfully, so that would give another option. If you run the installer just as a normal user as your colleague was doing (./burpsuite_community_linux_v2021_10_3.sh ) then the crash can be replicated. I'll have a chat with the developers, this may be something that we need to raise with install4j.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.