Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Could not start Burp: java.lang.NullPointerException

Daniel | Last updated: Apr 09, 2022 12:37PM UTC

Hello, I was trying to install burpsuite (community and pro) on Archlinux (tried several... arch, manjaro and blackarch) and all of them run the same problem. The only message I got is: Could not start Burp: java.lang.NullPointerException Tried add --diagnostics, tried lower java version, tried use oracle jdk, nothing seems to work. Also does not provide more details... the loading screen is displayed and suddenly crashes. The installation using the installer from portswigger gives other kind of error message during the install: Failed to Configure Embedded Browser. Both errors can be seem here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUy_zgtmrpM Any advice? Thanks,

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 11, 2022 08:57AM UTC

Thanks for your message. If you download the JAR file from https://portswigger.net/burp/releases and if you're using Java 17, execute it with the following command, does Burp launch successfully? java -jar --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED burpsuite_pro_v2021.10.2.jar NOTE: If you want to keep the parameter to limit Burp's heap size to 4GB then you would need to execute the following command: java -jar -Xmx4g --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED burpsuite_pro_v2021.10.2.jar

Daniel | Last updated: Apr 11, 2022 04:45PM UTC

Hi, I've tried both suggestions and the issue persists. The same behaviour as showed at the video from the original post. Is there any way to enable logs?

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 12, 2022 08:05AM UTC

Thanks for the update. Can you email support@portswigger.net with a video or screenshots showing the behavior when you are using these new commands, please? These commands are separate from the 'burpsuite' command you were using in your original recording and ought to be changing the output slightly so it would be good to get a full understanding of the steps so we can double-check things fully to spot the differences. Apologies, I have also just realized that the command I gave you previously included an incorrect version number, it should have been: The final part of the command will vary depending on the version you have downloaded and where you have saved the JAR file. java -jar --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED <path_to_downloaded_JAR_file> So, ifyou have downloaded the latest stable version of Burp Suite Professional from https://portswigger.net/burp/releases/professional-community-2022-2-4?requestededition=professional the command would be: java -jar --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED burpsuite_pro_v2022.2.4.jar

Daniel | Last updated: Apr 12, 2022 09:07AM UTC

Yeah, sure... I will do better... I will spin up a new vm where burpsuite was working, upgrade and the execute the commands you mention. Don't worry you were pretty clear about the commands before. Also, thanks for the update.

Gabou | Last updated: Apr 20, 2022 01:29AM UTC

Hi Michelle, I did try all the things Daniel said and also try at the end this new command: java -jar --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED burpsuite_pro_v2022.2.4.jar Versions from .sh and .jar v2022.1.1 that are in blackarch have the same error: could not start Burp: java.lang.NullPointerException also the pro version, am using VirtualBox, any other suggestions are appreciated. https://ibb.co/mzQnQM0

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 20, 2022 07:59AM UTC

Thanks for your message. We've received your email, so we'll take a look through all the information and be in touch soon.

Daniel | Last updated: Apr 25, 2022 09:51PM UTC

Hi Michelle, Quick update: I've update the packages and it came a new burpsuite version (2022.2.5-1 build 12599) and I can confirm it's working again with Java 18. Thank you, Daniel

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 26, 2022 07:38AM UTC

Thanks for letting us know :)

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.