Burp Suite User Forum

Login to post

Corrupted Project

Ema | Last updated: Nov 09, 2021 09:50AM UTC

Hi, I was working on last stable Burp version (2021.9.1). Yesterday i closed the project without error, however this morning upon opening the project i received a "corrupted project" error and i am not able to restore it successfully. I have already tried to open copies of the corrupted file with the following burp versions, but all failed: 2021.8.4 2021.10 The project is roughly 4.2 GB in size. Can you please help me? Thank you.

Ema | Last updated: Nov 09, 2021 10:41AM UTC

Forgot to mention i am using the burpsuite professional version.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 10, 2021 01:14PM UTC

Hi Ema, In terms of the corruption itself - is this the first time that you have experienced issues like this with Burp projects? If so, did anything out of the ordinary happen to either Burp or the machine that Burp is installed on at the point where you exited or reloaded the project file (it sounds like this is not the case but just to check)? In addition, are you saving and storing the Burp project files on a standard local drive on your machine or some kind of network/shared location?

Ema | Last updated: Nov 10, 2021 03:56PM UTC

Hi Ben, this is the second time this has happened to me, the first time it happened on a different project a couple of months ago but i was able to restore it. Both times i noticed nothing out of the ordinary happening. The projects are stored on a local veracrypt drive. Thank you.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 12, 2021 11:45AM UTC

Hi Ema, Disk-based Burp projects use memory mapped files to function - we do not support the storage of project files on shared/network drives because of this and the potential issues around the reading/writing of data when they are stored in such a way. Is it possible that the encryption is being carried out 'on the fly' which might, under certain circumstances, be impacting on Burp writing and reading data to disk and causing corruption issues (apologies but I am not at all familiar with how Veracrypt works)?

Ema | Last updated: Nov 15, 2021 08:55AM UTC

Hi Ben, as I said the project is not on shared/network drives but local. The encryption is not performed on the fly. in my case both times it was done upon pc shutdown, after having closed burp.

Ema | Last updated: Nov 22, 2021 09:19AM UTC

Hi, any news on the issue? Thank you

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 23, 2021 12:17PM UTC

Hi Ema, Unfortunately, if the restoration process is not able to successfully repair the project file then this is normally an indication that the corruption that has taken place is beyond repair and the contents of the file are irretrievable. We would obviously like to prevent this from happening in future - you mentioned that this has happened once before, could you tell me the sort of data that you have saved in your project file, for example, Intruder attacks, previously run scans, repeater requests, etc.? Did you have any extensions loaded in Burp when the corruption has taken place and, if so, do you recall which extensions they were? In terms of previous instances of project corruption - is this something that you have only experienced twice or is this something that you can replicate consistently?

You need to Log in to post a reply. Or register here, for free.