Burp Suite User Forum

Login to post

Corrupt Burp Projects

Stephen | Last updated: Mar 23, 2021 01:36PM UTC

So recently I've been getting a lot of corrupt Burp project files, basically the last maybe couple of releases with the Plain Java version on macOS. It is causing a lot of disruption as it is loosing a lot of testing data as the 'repair' and I use the term loosely as it never actually recovers anything will be run on every restart pretty much when attempting to open a file and leave us without any information from the recovery process? Is there any way to actually get something out of the supposedly corrupt files?

Stephen | Last updated: Mar 23, 2021 01:41PM UTC

Should just add, something seems to happen during the save which is resulting in only a small fraction of the original file being saved. Basically, as an example the file say was 64MB before the corruption occurred and then post corruption would be saved as a mere 66Kb file.

Stephen | Last updated: Mar 23, 2021 01:41PM UTC

Should just add, something seems to happen during the save which is resulting in only a small fraction of the original file being saved. Basically, as an example the file say was 64MB before the corruption occurred and then post corruption would be saved as a mere 66Kb file.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 23, 2021 02:04PM UTC

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for reporting this.

If possible, can you replicate the issue and share the project file with support@portswigger.net? Please also share:

• Diagnostics (Help > Diagnostics)
  • Steps to replicate
  • Where are you saving the project files to? A location that is synced to the cloud? Locally on your machine?

Stephen | Last updated: Mar 23, 2021 03:41PM UTC

Hi, Will try to replicate this and drop something over. Thanks

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 23, 2021 03:42PM UTC

Thank you! We will pick it up as soon as we receive your email.

Saurabhkumar | Last updated: May 26, 2021 01:42PM UTC

I am also facing the same issue and particularly my intruder data is lost after the repair is completed. FYI, I am syncing the project file on the cloud. Any update on how to fix this issue?

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 26, 2021 01:49PM UTC

Saurabhkumar, what cloud platform are you using? Can you please send an email to support@portswigger.net with further information?

Frode | Last updated: Aug 30, 2021 01:51PM UTC

I seem to get corrupt files almost every time I open a saved project. I just open a the project, view a few saved request in the proxy log and then close/exit Burp, no changes made to the project. When I reopen project Burp claims the file is corrupt. Is there a fix for this now?

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 31, 2021 08:50AM UTC

Hi Frode,

Can you replicate the issue and share the project file with support@portswigger.net? Please also share:

• Diagnostics (Help > Diagnostics)
  • Steps to replicate
  • Where are you saving the project files to? A location that is synced to the cloud? Locally on your machine?

Frode | Last updated: Sep 03, 2021 10:24AM UTC

Thanks for replying. Yes, I can reproduce this consistently on my machine. I will send sample projects to support@portswigger.net.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 03, 2021 11:15AM UTC

Thanks, Frode. We'll have a look as soon as it reaches our inbox.

Frode | Last updated: Sep 06, 2021 08:48AM UTC

Sample projects sent. I have also discovered that disabling the "Logger++" Burp extension seems to help. Maybe this is a problem with the extension.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 06, 2021 12:51PM UTC

Thanks for that information. We'll investigate this further and get back to you with any feedback.

IT | Last updated: Feb 08, 2022 01:33PM UTC

I know this is a day late and a dollar short, but I too am having the same issue in 2022. I am running Burp Suite Pro v2021.12.1. I have had 5 projects, which only 1 has opened after exiting Burp Suite, and subsequently, failed due to corruption. This problem appears to have been going on since April of 2021, and almost a year later, the problem still exists?!? There seems to be at least three threads for this problem. Is there a fix? Is the solution posted by Frode been verified and if so, is Logger++ being fixed?

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 09, 2022 09:06AM UTC

Hi Are you saving your project files in a networked drive, or are they stored locally on your machine? Extensions are written by third-party users of Burp, and so we rely on the extension authors to maintain their extensions and provide updates. Logger++ was last updated by its author in August 2021. You can raise issues with the extension author on their repository. You can find Logger++ here: https://github.com/nccgroup/LoggerPlusPlus/issues

Michael | Last updated: May 12, 2022 10:36PM UTC

same here, has always done it, now it does it every time I open a file.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 13, 2022 09:23AM UTC

Thanks for your message. Where do you save the project files? Are these stored locally or saved to a network drive/location that syncs to OneDrive? Were you carrying out any specific tasks just prior to closing the project file and then experiencing corruption on re-opening it?

You need to Log in to post a reply. Or register here, for free.