Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Corrupt Burp Projects

Stephen | Last updated: Mar 23, 2021 01:36PM UTC

So recently I've been getting a lot of corrupt Burp project files, basically the last maybe couple of releases with the Plain Java version on macOS. It is causing a lot of disruption as it is loosing a lot of testing data as the 'repair' and I use the term loosely as it never actually recovers anything will be run on every restart pretty much when attempting to open a file and leave us without any information from the recovery process? Is there any way to actually get something out of the supposedly corrupt files?

Stephen | Last updated: Mar 23, 2021 01:41PM UTC

Should just add, something seems to happen during the save which is resulting in only a small fraction of the original file being saved. Basically, as an example the file say was 64MB before the corruption occurred and then post corruption would be saved as a mere 66Kb file.

Stephen | Last updated: Mar 23, 2021 01:41PM UTC

Should just add, something seems to happen during the save which is resulting in only a small fraction of the original file being saved. Basically, as an example the file say was 64MB before the corruption occurred and then post corruption would be saved as a mere 66Kb file.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 23, 2021 02:04PM UTC

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for reporting this.

If possible, can you replicate the issue and share the project file with support@portswigger.net? Please also share:

• Diagnostics (Help > Diagnostics)
  • Steps to replicate
  • Where are you saving the project files to? A location that is synced to the cloud? Locally on your machine?

Stephen | Last updated: Mar 23, 2021 03:41PM UTC

Hi, Will try to replicate this and drop something over. Thanks

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 23, 2021 03:42PM UTC

Thank you! We will pick it up as soon as we receive your email.

Saurabhkumar | Last updated: May 26, 2021 01:42PM UTC

I am also facing the same issue and particularly my intruder data is lost after the repair is completed. FYI, I am syncing the project file on the cloud. Any update on how to fix this issue?

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 26, 2021 01:49PM UTC

Saurabhkumar, what cloud platform are you using? Can you please send an email to support@portswigger.net with further information?

Frode | Last updated: Aug 30, 2021 01:51PM UTC

I seem to get corrupt files almost every time I open a saved project. I just open a the project, view a few saved request in the proxy log and then close/exit Burp, no changes made to the project. When I reopen project Burp claims the file is corrupt. Is there a fix for this now?

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 31, 2021 08:50AM UTC

Hi Frode,

Can you replicate the issue and share the project file with support@portswigger.net? Please also share:

• Diagnostics (Help > Diagnostics)
  • Steps to replicate
  • Where are you saving the project files to? A location that is synced to the cloud? Locally on your machine?

Frode | Last updated: Sep 03, 2021 10:24AM UTC

Thanks for replying. Yes, I can reproduce this consistently on my machine. I will send sample projects to support@portswigger.net.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 03, 2021 11:15AM UTC

Thanks, Frode. We'll have a look as soon as it reaches our inbox.

Frode | Last updated: Sep 06, 2021 08:48AM UTC

Sample projects sent. I have also discovered that disabling the "Logger++" Burp extension seems to help. Maybe this is a problem with the extension.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 06, 2021 12:51PM UTC

Thanks for that information. We'll investigate this further and get back to you with any feedback.

IT | Last updated: Feb 08, 2022 01:33PM UTC

I know this is a day late and a dollar short, but I too am having the same issue in 2022. I am running Burp Suite Pro v2021.12.1. I have had 5 projects, which only 1 has opened after exiting Burp Suite, and subsequently, failed due to corruption. This problem appears to have been going on since April of 2021, and almost a year later, the problem still exists?!? There seems to be at least three threads for this problem. Is there a fix? Is the solution posted by Frode been verified and if so, is Logger++ being fixed?

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 09, 2022 09:06AM UTC

Hi Are you saving your project files in a networked drive, or are they stored locally on your machine? Extensions are written by third-party users of Burp, and so we rely on the extension authors to maintain their extensions and provide updates. Logger++ was last updated by its author in August 2021. You can raise issues with the extension author on their repository. You can find Logger++ here: https://github.com/nccgroup/LoggerPlusPlus/issues

Michael | Last updated: May 12, 2022 10:36PM UTC

same here, has always done it, now it does it every time I open a file.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 13, 2022 09:23AM UTC

Thanks for your message. Where do you save the project files? Are these stored locally or saved to a network drive/location that syncs to OneDrive? Were you carrying out any specific tasks just prior to closing the project file and then experiencing corruption on re-opening it?

Corey | Last updated: Jul 15, 2022 02:16PM UTC

Hey folks! Author of Logger++ here. I've just been alerted to this thread via a GitHub issue submitted on the Logger++ repository (https://github.com/nccgroup/LoggerPlusPlus/issues/156). Unfortunately, whilst uninstalling Logger++ appears to fix this issue, I do not believe that Logger++ is responsible for this bug. Instead, it is likely that Logger++ simply uses the Burp API function responsible for causing this issue. My money is on this being caused by the saveBuffersToTempFiles (https://portswigger.net/burp/extender/api/burp/iburpextendercallbacks.html#saveBuffersToTempFiles-burp.IHttpRequestResponse-) function, as this likely causes the data to be saved to the project file. If this occurs during the external syncing of the file, this could cause corruption. Sorry folks!

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 18, 2022 09:33AM UTC

Hi Due to the way our persistence framework operates, we recommend using a local drive for saving project files rather than a network drive (https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/projects). Saving project files to networked drives will result in project corruption.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.