Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Constant corrupted file warnings

Erik | Last updated: Sep 14, 2022 05:54AM UTC

I'm working with a project and every evening I properly close burp. When I open it in the morning, it states it's corrupted. I then repair it and use the repaired copy. This procedure has gone on for three days now. I have to repair the file from yesterday that was the repaired copy of the file from two days ago. I'm a bit worried.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 14, 2022 12:05PM UTC

Thanks for your message. When you run the repair, this action is trying to recover data rather than fix corruption. Where are you storing the project file, are you saving it locally? Due to the way our persistence framework operates, we recommend using a local drive for saving project files rather than a network drive.

Erik | Last updated: Sep 14, 2022 12:48PM UTC

But it's stored locally.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 15, 2022 07:51AM UTC

Can you send an email to support@portswigger.net and tell us more about the process you're following when you recover the data and then see corruption on the new project file again? If you can also provide details about the file location, although it's local, is it being synced anywhere? How big is the project file, is it just happening with this one file? Can you also send us the output from Help -> Diagnostics for your installation of Burp, please?

Erik | Last updated: Sep 29, 2022 01:14PM UTC

I switched the location from Onedrive to a local disk. So far it seems to work. But I have used Onedrive-path for tests for a long time. So I'm not sure that is the problem.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 30, 2022 08:33AM UTC

Hi Erik, It would be useful if you could continue to monitor how this behaves now that you are using local storage that is not syncing to OneDrive. It is feasible that the corruption only occurs when certain conditions are in place, when using the OneDrive synced location, so it might not happen each and every time.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.