Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Collaborator / broken IPv6 support

J | Last updated: May 14, 2024 05:48AM UTC

Because the public collaborator server still lacks support for IPv6, I built a custom one. All seemed to work OK, so I set about testing it. For this purpose I put a simple PHP script on a host which does a DNS lookup of whatever is supplied as a parameter: if (isset($_GET['dns'])) { header("Content-Type: text/plain"); $hostname = $_GET['dns']; if ($resolve=dns_get_record($hostname, DNS_AAAA)) { foreach ($resolve as $record) { print($record['ipv6'] ."\n"); } } } As you can see, it only does AAAA lookups and the host it runs on has IPv6-only connectivity. Running a scan against it using the public collaborator predictably returns nothing due to a lack of modern connectivity, but running it against the custom collaborator *should* have worked. Instead, I get the following result: The Collaborator server received a DNS lookup of type A for the domain name aiwknafxz6pi74uzg7gix1z6oxurih69u0knabz.c.MYDOMAIN. The lookup was received from IP address :36513 at 2024-May-13 18:26:34.429 UTC. So it fails to recognize the lookup type and incorrectly assumes it to be a legacy A lookup, and also fails to identify the source IP that the traffic came from.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 14, 2024 11:06AM UTC

Thanks for sharing this with the Burp community.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.