Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Client certificate using Internet Explorer cert store?

Tim | Last updated: Jul 07, 2015 04:44PM UTC

Greetings, Is it possible for Burp to use the Windows (IE) certificate store? I've got a client whose process requires client certificates, but the IE+applet procedure stores it directly. Trying to export the result for Burp's use does not appear to work. That would indeed be ideal however.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 08, 2015 08:05AM UTC

It isn't possible to make Burp use the Windows certificate store, sorry. You'll need to find a way of obtaining the certificate file and loading it into Burp at Options / SSL / Client SSL Certificates.

Burp User | Last updated: Jul 08, 2015 04:04PM UTC

OK, thanks Dafydd. That's what I suspected - based on Burp's much-appreciated portability, odds of supporting Windows quirks are lower.Thanks for the confirmation though, also appreciated.

Favre, | Last updated: Sep 07, 2021 06:05AM UTC

Hi all, Has there been any update on the matter since 2015? This would be pretty convenient and complimentary to PKCS#11 (smart cards) / PKCS#12 (.pfx files) that Burp already supports.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 07, 2021 11:10AM UTC

Thanks for your message. The situation for this is the same as described earlier in the thread, I'm sorry, this is not functionality that has been added in the intervening years.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.