Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Cant Open the Links Mentioned in Web App Hacker's Handbook

Najam | Last updated: Feb 18, 2020 02:25AM UTC

Hello, I am reading Hacker's handbook these days and in it after some content under the heading of "Try It!" a link is given e.g mdsec.net/shop/169 whenever I open it to test my skills it just redirects me to the homepage of security academy. I know there is stuff about learning and labs which I can practice but how can I access that exact link mentioned in the book?

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 18, 2020 10:14AM UTC

Those references in WAHH were a resource that could be bought separately from mdsec.net. These are no longer available for purchase via mdsec.net. The responses to the questions at the end of each section can be found using web.archive.org to view the answers: - https://web.archive.org/web/20151027041737/http://mdsec.net/wahh/answers2e.html Have you taken a look at the PortSwigger Web Security Academy? It contains learning materials, interactive vulnerability labs, and video tutorials that are available free of charge and are being regularly updated. We very much hope that the Web Security Academy will fulfill the purpose that The Web Application Hacker's Handbook has done in the past.

Najam | Last updated: Feb 18, 2020 02:13PM UTC

Thank you for your prompt response. It means that we cant access those TRY IT links? Yeah, thanks for sharing answers as well. Yes, I am using Web Security Academy.

Thank you for your prompt response. It means that we cant access those TRY IT links? Yeah, thanks for sharing answers as well. Yes, I am using Web Security Academy.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 18, 2020 02:32PM UTC

Those links were on a site operated by MDSec Ltd rather than PortSwigger Ltd and involved the customer buying credits to use labs referred to in the WAHH book. Unfortunately, it seems they've removed these labs.

Najam | Last updated: Feb 18, 2020 04:38PM UTC

Ok are there solutions available for hack steps from WAHH?

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 19, 2020 09:32AM UTC

I'm afraid as those labs were hosted by MDSec (which is a separate company) I can't really provide much more information other than it seems, unfortunately, that they've removed the labs. To try out your skills you can use the interactive labs on PortSwigger's Web Security Academy https://portswigger.net/web-security. These are being regularly expanded so you keep getting new challenges.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.