Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Cannot set up Chromium DevTools overrides in embedded browser

Carl | Last updated: Oct 14, 2020 05:14PM UTC

When I open DevTools -> Sources -> Overrides and select a new folder for overrides, I get the prompt "DevTOols requests full access to [path...]". I click Allow, and then nothing happens. I do not have this issue with Chrome 85 on the same system.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 15, 2020 07:23AM UTC

Hi Carl, Can you clarify what you are trying to do, please?

Carl | Last updated: Oct 16, 2020 01:54PM UTC

Please refer to Google's documentation on this feature: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2018/01/devtools Specifically, the instructions copied from the above link: To set up Local Overrides: 1. Open the Sources panel. 2. Open the Overrides tab. 3. Click Setup Overrides. 4. Select which directory you want to save your changes to. 5. At the top of your viewport, click Allow to give DevTools read and write access to the directory. 6. Make your changes. The issue is that after step 5, the newly added directory should appear in the Overrides tab, and the user could proceed with using the Overrides feature. This is not the case for the Burp embedded browser. I originally discovered this issue in Burp Pro 2020.9.2 on Windows 10, and just now was able to reproduce in Burp Community 2020.9.1 on Kali.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 16, 2020 02:37PM UTC

Thanks a lot. The embedded browser is launched with a lot of default command-line parameters. One of these is --disable-file-system, which I presume is causing your issue. Our development team will look into this further to determine which parameters are appropriate for the proxy browser and which are appropriate for the crawl.

Carl | Last updated: Oct 16, 2020 04:37PM UTC

Thanks for the update. The overrides feature is a great way for a pentester to modify javascript on the fly. It would be great if the Burp browser can support it.

Samuel, | Last updated: Jan 25, 2022 11:50AM UTC

Are there any updates on this issue? I am missing the feature of JS overrides in Burp's browser very much.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 04, 2022 10:26AM UTC

Hi,

Just a quick update for you guys - we've created a development ticket and will track the popularity/interest in this feature.

We'll update this thread if/when it has been implemented.

yyang | Last updated: Sep 13, 2022 06:16PM UTC

Please provide an option to allow file system access. Thanks.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 14, 2022 11:03AM UTC

Hi, We have added your interest to the existing feature request that we have for this functionality (we are still currently monitoring the demand for it). As noted, we will update this forum thread if we have any further news to share.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.