Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Cannot launch burpsuite on latest Kali

Heather | Last updated: Sep 01, 2020 12:58AM UTC

Hello. I have the latest Kali, fully updated/upgraded vm, including burpsuite community edition v2020.8.1. I have been unable to launch the burpsuite application. I have tried using jdk-14, jdk-11, and jdk-8. For each of these, I receive the same popup window: burpsuite has not been tested for that java platform and may not work properly. When I select the option that I would like to try running the application anyway, burpsuite shutsdown. I read a bug report posted Aug 11, 2020 ("Can't install/launch burpsuite pro on latest Kali") the recommendation to try changing the video device to VGA. This also failed to resolve the issue of burpsuite unable to launch.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 01, 2020 09:43AM UTC

Hi Heather, Can you send us a screen recording of your issue? Is only the latest version of Burp affected? Have you tried using the Linux platform installer? (.sh script) Can you try installing and using the 14+36 openJDK 14 build? - http://jdk.java.net/archive/

Ömer | Last updated: Sep 02, 2021 02:15PM UTC

Hi everyone, this workaround worked for me: right click burpsuite within the main menu. Then go to application settings or so (my system language isnt english). Apply these changes: FROM Exec=sh -c "java -jar /usr/bin/burpsuite" TO Exec=burpsuite

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.