Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Can't use "Save as File" (request) in Burp due to the Java errors (lack of permissions????)

Cloufish | Last updated: Dec 07, 2020 03:41PM UTC

MAIN INFORMATION Operating System: Linux Default Java Version: java --version OpenJDK 14.0.2 2020-07-14 OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 14.0.2+12) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0.2+12, mixed mode) stdout: ``` Your JRE appears to be version 14.0.2 from N/A Burp has not been fully tested on this platform and you may experience problems. WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred WARNING: Illegal reflective access by burp.f_6 (file:/usr/share/burpsuite/burpsuite.jar) to field javax.swing.JTree.expandedState WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of burp.f_6 WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Malformed input or input contains unmappable characters: /home/cloufisz/PDG ??wiczenia 2 word.docx at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixPath.encode(UnixPath.java:145) at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixPath.<init>(UnixPath.java:69) at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystem.getPath(UnixFileSystem.java:279) at java.base/java.nio.file.Path.of(Path.java:147) at java.base/java.nio.file.Paths.get(Paths.java:69) at java.desktop/sun.awt.shell.ShellFolder.getShellFolder(ShellFolder.java:247) at java.desktop/javax.swing.filechooser.FileSystemView.getFiles(FileSystemView.java:523) at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicDirectoryModel$FilesLoader.run0(BasicDirectoryModel.java:290) at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicDirectoryModel$FilesLoader.run(BasicDirectoryModel.java:279) at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:832) ``` image: https://imgur.com/i4Voske What is happening: The window with directories to choose from starts at /home directory. When I want to go to the directory listed, the cursor is hanging in an infinite loading loop and I can't save the request in a file. What should happen: I should be able to move to the directories freely. Is it because I'm using Java version 14.0?

Cloufish | Last updated: Dec 07, 2020 03:48PM UTC

Oh, now I see the logs clearly. So it seems like the app is not escaping "?" sign in directory browsing. After removing these everything works. I don't know if there's a solution for developers to escape some signs/letters in file directory browsing. Though I hope that this post will help some other Linux users :)

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 07, 2020 04:48PM UTC

Hi I'm glad you managed to resolve this issue. So that we can try and replicate this issue, could you provide some more detail on the OS you were using? I tried to replicate this on Kali Linux, using the "Choose file" option under the "Open existing project" to navigate into a folder with a "?" in the name, and that also contained a file inside with the same file name as yours but did not encounter a hanging cursor. Is the "??" a multi-byte character rather than a "?"?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.