Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

can't save anything

Michael | Last updated: May 04, 2021 09:48PM UTC

can't save user configs, can't save project. yes, lots of room, no, not a network drive. initially tried to open a new project with default options, entered in a project name. won't save, similar errors. next, opened a temporary project, did some things, used built in chrome, now I want to save things. can't save things. this appears to be a bug over a year old. What's wrong? System is Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, 2004 build this error when saving project: Failed to save project (then in red: ) Failed to create a new project file: burp.arb: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\Michael Scheidell\Documents\2021-05-04-suprt.burp (The system cannot find the file specified). java: do I need to load java? (i remember removing java during that adobe thing) does this need java? maybe a better error message.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 05, 2021 08:28AM UTC

Thanks for your message. I've been trying to recreate this issue here on Windows 10 but, so far, I haven't seen the same behavior I'm afraid. Could you email the output from Help -> Diagnostics to support@portswigger.net, please? Also, can you let us know if you have User Options -> Misc -> Performance Feedback -> Submit Anonymous feedback about Burp's Performance enabled?

Michael | Last updated: May 05, 2021 03:33PM UTC

i loaded java, that isn't it. i set PATH and JAVE_HOME and tested with java -version. I notice a LOT OF USERS HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, with the same questions: network drive? enough room? yes, I have performance feedback I can write to c:\Burp\Users\Michael Scheidell\Documents\YOSS\First\2021-05-05.burp I can't write to c:\Users\Michael Scheidell\Documents\YOSS\First\2021-05-05.burp it's not 'spaces in the name', its not the length of the filename. does burp think c:\Users\Michael Scheidell\Documents is a network drive? it is NOT. i copied the file to c:\Users\Michael Scheidell\Documents\YOSS\First and it can't read the file. error is 'Could not open file:' I am going to check microsoft defender cryptolocker protections.... yep! it was microsoft protected folder access!!!! add this to list of things to check. I think I have it now.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 06, 2021 07:41AM UTC

Thanks for the update and the comprehensive list of checks. It's good to hear you found the culprit.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.