Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Can't install Burpsuite Community Edition on Kali Linux

rancilio22 | Last updated: Oct 29, 2020 04:29PM UTC

Hello, I am trying to install Burpsuite Community Edition but it won't let me. My set up is - Kali Linux 2020 vbox i386 running on Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 I have downloaded the .jar file which errors with; Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: burp/StartBurp has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 53.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0 at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method) at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:763) at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142) at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:468) at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:74) at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:369) at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:363) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:362) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:349) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357) at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:495) And the .sh file errors with; Unpacking JRE ... Starting Installer ... ./burpsuite_community_linux_v2_1_04.sh: 578: /home/kali/Downloads/burpsuite_community_linux_v2_1_04.sh.1452.dir/jre/bin/java: Exec format error I am running Java version; Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dswing.aatext=true openjdk version "1.8.0_212" OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_212-8u212-b01-1-b01) OpenJDK Server VM (build 25.212-b01, mixed mode) Does anybody have any advice? Thanks

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 29, 2020 08:52PM UTC

Hi, There are a couple of issues here. Firstly, the latest versions of Burp no longer support Java 8, which is the cause of the error you are seeing when running the Jar file version of Burp. More importantly, the later versions of Burp are no longer supported on 32-bit architecture, which is the cause of the error that you are seeing when trying to install Burp via the .sh script file. If you want to use the later versions of Burp, you would need to obtain the 64-bit version of Kali Linux and then either install via the script file (which has an embedded version of Java 14 so does not require Java to be installed on your machine) or obtain Java 9 and above and run Burp via the standalone Jar file.

rancilio22 | Last updated: Oct 30, 2020 12:56PM UTC

Ok, thanks a lot for your help, really appreciated :)

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.