Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Can I cancel filtering?

Martin | Last updated: Oct 21, 2017 01:59AM UTC

Sometimes I apply a filter in the site map or proxy http-history sections, that takes extremely long to apply/search. If I use Regex, it quite regularly doesn't even ever stop displaying the "Filter: Please wait ..." message. Is there any way to cancel a filter, without restarting burp? While the filter is applying/searching, I cannot save the burp state either, so this is a quite important issue. I use Burp Suite Professional v1.7.27. On a Windows 10 Pro "Version 1703 (Build 15063.674)" desktop with a i7-6850K CPU, 16GB 3000MHz RAM and a 512GB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD. On that hardware I'd expect burp to perform really good.

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 23, 2017 07:46AM UTC

We are currently working on performance enhancements to the filter feature. Additionally, we have your request logged in our development backlog. Unfortunately, we can't provide an ETA. Regarding saving your work, have you tried using Burp Projects: https://portswigger.net/burp/help/suite_burp_projects.html Data is saved incrementally into the file as you work. There is no need to specifically "save" your work when you are finished.

Burp User | Last updated: Nov 12, 2017 05:01PM UTC

Hello, this should be considered as a priority, i m also facing a search which is totally freezing my computer, so i don t know when it will stop, may be i will have to start a new project. Thanks,

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 13, 2017 10:43AM UTC

Have you tried restarting Burp? This should cancel the filter. Can you try this out and let us know what you see please.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 13, 2017 03:43PM UTC

As of today's release, Burp now shows a cancel button during filter updates. Thanks for the feedback.

Burp User | Last updated: Mar 08, 2018 02:36AM UTC

Thank you, that is truly great :)

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 08, 2018 09:20AM UTC

Hi Jen, what version of Burp Suite are you running?

Burp User | Last updated: Dec 03, 2019 03:56PM UTC

@Dafydd Where is the cancel button? All I see is "Filter: Please wait..."

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.