Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

BurpSuite Professional on Kali (ARM) running on MacBook Pro with M1 processor

Anand | Last updated: Jun 11, 2021 07:04PM UTC

Hello, I am trying to run my BurpSuite Professional licensed version on a MacBook Pro with M1 processor but I receive error: Unpacking JRE ... Starting Installer ... ./burpsuitepro.sh: 598: /home/kali/burpsuitepro.sh.5088.dir/jre/bin/java: Exec format error I am not sure why is this problem. Can you please provide a build of BurpSuitePro for that version of Kali? Thank you

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 14, 2021 08:46AM UTC

Hi Can you clarify whether you are using macOS or Kali? Have you tried using the standalone JAR file to run Burp instead? You can find instructions here: https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/getting-started/launching/command-line

Anand | Last updated: Jun 14, 2021 09:42AM UTC

Hello, I am using MacOSX on new M1 hardware. And on MacOS I am using Parallels Desktop inside which I am using ARM based Kali virtual machine. Thanks for the link, I was able to launch Burp using the command given on the link.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 14, 2021 11:10AM UTC

Glad to hear it! We do have plans to support Burp on the M1 in the future.

Anand | Last updated: Jun 14, 2021 08:27PM UTC

BurpSuite is an essential tool and supporting M1 based linux/kali should be high priority I believe. I hope that future would not be way too far. Thanks again. Best regards, Anand

Samir | Last updated: Aug 15, 2021 06:50PM UTC

Hi, I been using the jar to run burp but its not same as install on system, its august and still no solution for install Burp on linux arm, or if ??

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 16, 2021 10:09AM UTC

Sorry, this is still in our backlog. We've added your +1 for this feature.

Robert | Last updated: Nov 02, 2021 02:15AM UTC

Hi Team, Could you please provide an update on the position of this request in your backlog? Thank you

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 02, 2021 10:16AM UTC

Hi We should be providing an installer for M1 in our next release.

Paul | Last updated: Jan 12, 2022 08:03PM UTC

Has this been addressed yet? I do not see one for this although I may be missing it.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 13, 2022 08:54AM UTC

Hi, The latest Burp Professional/Community 2021.12.1 release now contains support for Mac M1(Arm64) chips: https://portswigger.net/burp/releases/professional-community-2021-12-1?requestededition=professional As noted in the release notes above, we now provide a dedicated installer for machines with M1(Arm64) processors.

Al | Last updated: Jan 28, 2022 04:33PM UTC

Hi Ben, I see that Burpsuite is indeed available for M1 macs but I'm having trouble installing it on a Kali linux virtual machine that I installed on my M1 mac. Am I doing something wrong? Is Burpsuite available on kali linux virtual machines running on top of M1 macs? Thank you!

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 31, 2022 09:22AM UTC

Hi We do not currently provide a native installer for ARM64 on Linux. To use Burp, you would need to use the standalone JAR file as mentioned above. We have an ongoing feature request to add support for this, to which I have added your +1!

DrDv | Last updated: Mar 08, 2022 01:19PM UTC

Please add my vote too. Burp installation on linux as a guest (kali) which the host is mac m1 is needed.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 08, 2022 01:55PM UTC

Thank you, we've added your +1!

Jason | Last updated: Apr 06, 2022 05:23PM UTC

I understand the architecture difference is most like causing you all a lot of work. I would really like to keep burpsuite pro installed in the kali VM being ran by my M1 max chip. I personally like the isolation of pen testing tools staying in the VM. Thanks for the threads I will look into the stand alone solution for now.

pwndumb | Last updated: Oct 07, 2022 02:12PM UTC

The request is made in January 2021 and after almost 2 years there is no package to install in linux arm64. I only renew my license if release one. I will not buy for features that not delivered in my architecture.

Kaspar | Last updated: Oct 20, 2022 01:47PM UTC

Hi Please add my vote too. Burp installation on linux(kali-arm) as a guest, which the host is mac m1 is necessary.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 21, 2022 01:18PM UTC

Hi. We've added your +1. You should still be able to use the standalone JAR version of Burp. However, you may encounter issues when using Burp's browser.

dslaga | Last updated: Mar 14, 2023 09:50AM UTC

I also need this! running kali on my Mac M1 and burp having the same error :(

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 14, 2023 10:02AM UTC

Hi This is on our roadmap - you can find it here: https://portswigger.net/blog/burp-suite-roadmap-update-january-2023#:~:text=Added-,ARM64%20support,-%2D%20Burp%20Suite%20Professional

dslaga | Last updated: Mar 15, 2023 04:24PM UTC

thanks! I tried running the jar but got this: ``` └─$ sudo java -jar burpsuite_free_v1.7.05.jar Your JRE appears to be version 17.0.6 from Debian Burp has not been fully tested on this platform and you may experience problems. java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/net/ssl/internal/ssl/Provider at burp.jdc.a(Unknown Source) at burp.kdc.<init>(Unknown Source) at burp.jdc.<clinit>(Unknown Source) at burp.bgf.f(Unknown Source) at burp.bgf.b(Unknown Source) at burp.bgf.c(Unknown Source) at burp.eg.a(Unknown Source) at burp.eg.a(Unknown Source) at burp.eg.a(Unknown Source) at burp.wif.a(Unknown Source) at burp.wif.a(Unknown Source) at burp.nh.a(Unknown Source) at burp.nh.a(Unknown Source) at burp.rnc.a(Unknown Source) at burp.rnc.run(Unknown Source) at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833) Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:641) at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:188) at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:520) ... 16 more ``` It errors after selecting "temporary project". Any thoughts? I'm using kali on vmware fusion with Mac M1 chip. Thanks!

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 16, 2023 08:01AM UTC

Hi, Is there a reason for using such an old version of Burp? I would assume the issue is that the version of Java you are using is not compatible with that old version of Burp - are you able to obtain a later version of Burp from our release page (here - https://portswigger.net/burp/releases)?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.