Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Burpsuite livelocks in splashscreen without error message

Jean-Pierre | Last updated: Apr 15, 2017 03:07PM UTC

In a fresh install of Kali Linux on a Raspberry Pi 2 Burpsuite will lock up on the Splashscreen. Steps to reproduce: 1. Flash Kali Linux to an SD-Card. 2. Install and boot. 3. Run the following commands: # apt update # apt full-upgrade # apt autoremove # apt install kali-linux-web # java -jar /usr/bin/burpsuite -Xmx1024m 4. Observe Failure Expected result: Burpsuite starts and accepts connections Observed result: Burpsuite's splash screen appears and shows indefinitely, with one CPU core constantly maxed out and no command line output.

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 19, 2017 09:23AM UTC

Hi Jean-Pierre Thanks for your message. We've just updated Kali and ran Burp Suite using this command: # java -jar /usr/bin/burpsuite Burp Suite started and ran as expected. Have you tried launching Burp without adding -Xmx1024m?

Burp User | Last updated: May 06, 2017 06:31PM UTC

Same here - Raspberry Pi 3 Model B + Kali fresh install. Burp just locks at the splash screen. Same on a Pi Zero W too (different build to Pi 3).

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 08, 2017 08:29AM UTC

Hi Stuart We've tested the latest versions of Kali and Burp Suite and had no issues. We haven't tested Burp Suite on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, however, if the machine has the appropriate computational power then there shouldn't be an issue. Which version of Java are you using?

Burp User | Last updated: Oct 20, 2019 03:21AM UTC

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 with Raspbian and I can confirm this is an issue with or without the -Xmx1024m argument. There is only 1GB of RAM on the rPi2, so that argument isn't going to make much difference. I am using Java 1.7. Sometimes I can work around this issue by repeatedly killing java and then starting it again. This workaround takes approximately 7 minutes of CPU time (about 20 minutes of wall time), so it's important not to be too quick with the killing and restarting. It's also important to note that this workaround does not invalidate the problem. On the first attempt, I can leave the burp suite loading screen go for an hour and it will never load. This is 100% reproducible on my rPi2. How many times I have to restart it varies, but it's common for it to take about an hour to an hour and a half to start burp suite. If it weren't for this bug, the rPi2 & burp suite would make an excellent testing environment. Due to this bug, I always use ZAP unless I need the transparent proxy. :-(

Mike, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 21, 2019 10:50AM UTC

Hi Adam, This is likely due to the hardware restrictions present in Raspberry Pi's as the CPU on a Pi 2 is a 900 MHz 32-bit, quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor, with 256 KB shared L2 cache. The Java version you have running on your Pi, is that the version that came pre-installed in Raspbian?

Burp User | Last updated: Dec 23, 2019 03:51PM UTC

Hi, I'm using the Raspberry Pi 4 4GB with the latest version of Kali Linux (2019.4-rpi3) and was having the same problem, that it would hang on the orange splash screen. I had JRE 11 installed, that was causing the problem for me. To fix I downloaded java 8 using : apt install openjdk-8-jdk Then switched to this version of java: update-alternatives --config java (Select version of java corresponding to jdk8) I was able to start burp without it hanging: java -jar /usr/bin/burpsuite

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.