Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Burp - Target - Actively scan this host times out

Oscar | Last updated: Jan 26, 2021 08:41PM UTC

Hello, Starting a new scan from dashboard with Crawl or Crawl and Audit works fine. However If I go to target and use "Actively scan this host" it will time out after some requests. What can I do to mitigate this? Tried restarting several times but it always fails eventually. Log including debug says "Audit started" and then nothing else.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 27, 2021 09:56AM UTC

Are you configuring any authentication for the Crawl/Crawl & Audit? Have you tried inspecting the requests in Flow or Logger++ to identify a pattern in the failing ones? Are you aware of any rate-limiting or WAF on the server?

Oscar | Last updated: Jan 29, 2021 10:57AM UTC

Nope, I did get a similar error from Live audit from Proxy (suite scope) though. Got the error below and then no more requests where processed even though I could browse the target machine without a problem. 1611850653347 Error Proxy [2] readHandshakeRecord Deleted the task and started over clicking the same links and then it worked. Can it be a Windows issue?

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 29, 2021 04:10PM UTC

Thanks for that information. Do you have antivirus software or a firewall that could be blocking some requests? Does your issue persist on another OS? Can you please send further information via email to support@portswigger.net? - Errors in the event log - The exact request/requests that are timing out - please attach Flow or Logger++ output - Please send the failing requests in the Repeater and share the output

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.