Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Burp Suite Professional Installer hangs - no UI

Will | Last updated: Oct 17, 2023 02:48PM UTC

Hi folks, I'm trying to upgrade Burp Suite Professional to the version in burpsuite_pro_macos_v2021_10.dmg, but the installer doesn't work. Specifically: 1) It displays a splash screen titled Burp Suite installation wizard, with the text: Burp Suite Professional Installer is preparing the wizard which will guide you through the rest of the setup process. 2) Then a new purple Burp icon appears on the dock, with the text "Java" if I hover over it. And that's all that happens. No UI for the installer appears. Just Java running, which has to be force quit. (Normal quit isn't good enough). It's a pretty standard macOS Sonoma (14) system. What am I doing wrong and/or how can I find out more detail about what specifically is failing?

Will | Last updated: Oct 17, 2023 02:51PM UTC

And as I look at the filename more closely here, it seems that the version I'm attempting to install is horribly out of date. burpsuite_pro_macos_v2021_10.dmg is what was offered up as the result of running the version of Burp Suite that was already installed on my system (2.0.20beta) I get it that both of these versions are both extremely out of date, but I'd hope that even if I was running a very out of date version of Burp Suite, the version it would offer to me via the update mechanism would be the current version. Not a 2021 version.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 17, 2023 03:12PM UTC

Hi Are you using an M1 or Intel Mac?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.