Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Burp Suite Pro Won't Launch on OSX Catalina

Arthur | Last updated: May 12, 2020 01:12PM UTC

Hello, I am trying to run Burp Suite Pro on my Mac (OS X Catalina 10.15.4), but it won't launch. The file is "burpsuite_pro_v2020.4.jar" freshly downloaded from portswigger, SHA: 1b4909ea8bfcd008a377342d590a3d4da6a307b1 When I open the console I find some sandbox errors like this: Sandbox: Jar Launcher(95470) System Policy: deny(1) file-read-data /Users/arthur/Library/Containers/com.apple.VoiceMemos/Data/Library/Preferences Here's a screenshot of the console with 9 total errors like that: https://i.imgur.com/EAkMzEC.png I am able to launch it from the CLI (via java -jar burpsuite_pro_v2020.4.jar), where I see an error: "Your JRE appears to be version 14.0.1 from Oracle Corporation Burp has not been fully tested on this platform and you may experience problems." Can you help resolve this please? Thank you.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 13, 2020 10:50AM UTC

Hi, There are some issues with running Burp on later versions of the MacOS due to some of the security settings present and the fact that PortSwigger do not, currently, notarize the Burp application so it is possible the things you are seeing are related to that. When you launch Burp via the command line, does it load successfully? Burp Professional, Version 2020.4 has been tested against OpenJDK, Version 13.0.3 (this is the version that the platform installer version of Burp comes embedded with) so we recommend using that where possible. Having said that, I would not expect to see any major issues with running Burp on Java 14.

Arthur | Last updated: May 16, 2020 06:23AM UTC

Hi Ben, Thanks for your reply. "When you launch Burp via the command line, does it load successfully?" Yes it seems to work fine this way. I just couldn't add it to my dock so I made a little shell script to launch it via terminal. I wanted to make you aware of this issue so you can resolve it for myself and others. Thanks!

Rick | Last updated: May 04, 2021 01:34PM UTC

I'm having that same issue with the Pro version. This should be treated as a bug. A 300$ a year software that is in fact sold for MacOS, should at least be able to start without issues.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 05, 2021 09:47AM UTC

Hi Rick, To clarify, which particular issues are you facing when you try and launch Burp on MacOS - are you seeing exactly the same errors as the author of this forum post or something different?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.