Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Burp Suite Community Edition v2023.10.3.5 will not update itself

Anonymous | Last updated: Nov 27, 2023 02:48PM UTC

I have Burp Suite Community Edition v2023.10.3.5 and when I manually checked for updates I saw the following: An update is available. Version: Burp Suite Community Edition 2023.10.3.6 However, when I clicked on the Update now button, my default system browser (Safari) was launched and I was sent to your website to download the latest version of Burp Suite Community manually. Why won't Burp Community update itself? Thank You.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 27, 2023 03:05PM UTC

Hi In Burp, if you go to Settings > Suite > Updates, is 'Enable auto-updates (requires restart)' enabled? If not, you can enable this so that updates are automatically applied and you would not need to manually update. If this is enabled, are there any error messages if you go to Help > Check for updates? If you prefer to manually update, are you able to download the update if you use a different browser?

Anonymous | Last updated: Nov 27, 2023 03:29PM UTC

Hello, Michelle. Thanks you for replying so quickly. Yes, 'Enable auto-updates (requires restart)' is enabled. No, there are no error messages when I go to Help > Check for updates. My system default browser (Safari) is launched when I click the Update now button and your website is loaded so that I can download the latest update manually. I would prefer that Burp Community updates itself automatically. Thank You.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 28, 2023 10:31AM UTC

Hi Do you use the installed version of Burp, or do you launch the JAR file from the CLI?

Anonymous | Last updated: Nov 28, 2023 04:34PM UTC

Hello, Michelle. I use the installed version of Burp. Here is more info that I hope will help you find out what the problem might be. In the Settings configuration, user Suite > Updates, I see: Enable auto-updates (requires restart) is checked Channel Stable If I uncheck Enable auto-updates, when I restart Burp, I receive an alert that tells me that: An update is available. Version: Burp Suite Community Edition 2023.10.3.6 If I click on the Update now button, my default browser (Safari) loads and I am taken to the following URL: https://portswigger.net/burp/communitydownload?utm_source=burp_suite_community&utm_medium=update_button&utm_campaign=update_community If I check Enable auto-updates, when I restart Burp, I do not receive an alert that there is an update available and Burp Community loads the window: Burp Suite Community Edition v2023.10.3.5 - Temporary Project. I have not been able to find any indication that Burp Community tries to download the update automatically or any error message that the download failed. Thank You

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 29, 2023 09:00AM UTC

When you have automatic update enabled, Burp will launch normally with the original version, and then a prompt will appear near the top right of Burp once it has started to let you know an update is available. The message that appears is not the same one as you see when you are asked if you want to do a manual update. The automatic prompt would have appeared the first time you launched Burp after 20th November when we released the latest update. Do you remember if this happened? With automatic updates, if you switch to the Early Adopter channel and restart Burp, are you prompted to upgrade? If you then change back to the Stable channel, are you automatically prompted to change the version of Burp?

Anonymous | Last updated: Nov 29, 2023 02:15PM UTC

Hello, Michelle. No, I have never seen the message that you describe near the top right of Burp once it has started. I switched to the Early Adopter channel and restarted Burp. I was not prompted to upgrade (as long as the Enable auto-updates is checked). However, if I uncheck the Enable auto-updates, when I restart Burp I see a window that says: An update is available. Version: Burp Suite Community Edition 2023.10.3.6 Description: This release contains some minor bug fixes. Release notes: https://portswigger.net/burp/releases/professional-community-2023-10-3-6 As I've previously stated, if I click on the Update now button, my system browser (Safari) is launched and I am taken to the following URL: https://portswigger.net/burp/communitydownload?utm_source=burp_suite_community&utm_medium=update_button&utm_campaign=update_community Michelle, I believe Burp Community is finding something in my system that makes it decide not to update itself. Can you check with the programmers to see if Burp Community has specific hardware/software requirements for this behavior. Maybe I have too little free physical memory or my os.version is too old (even though it said that my platform is supported in the Health check below)? Health check for Burp's Browser: Intiating health check Checking platform supported Checking browser binaries Checking headless browser Creating documentation window All checks completed successfully. There were no errors in the Event log. I could not find any errors, failures, etc. in Burp diagnostics that would indicate that Burp tried to download the update. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 29, 2023 02:28PM UTC

Hi The behavior where a browser is launched after clicking on Update now is expected if you have checked for updates manually. The message appears to let you know an update is available, and then you can follow the link to find the download. The automatic update does not perform any checks on the memory before downloading the latest version. So that we can take a closer look at your setup, can you please ensure your setup is set back to the Stable release channel, then restart Burp, go to Help > Diagnostics, and email a copy of the output to support@portswigger.net?

Anonymous | Last updated: Nov 29, 2023 06:37PM UTC

Hello, Michelle. I will send a copy of the output of Diagnostics to support@portswigger.net shortly. Thank you for your help.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 30, 2023 08:46AM UTC

Hi We've got your email. We'll take a look through the details and be in touch soon.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.