Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Burp request editor automatically adding closing brackets and not inserting double quotes after slash

Chris | Last updated: Dec 27, 2023 02:07AM UTC

Hey folks, As of the latest update to the early adopter (2023.12.1) I've noticed when I edit a request with JSON contents, if I add an opening bracket Burp automatically adds a closing bracket immediately after (much like in a programming IDE). This is very rarely (if ever) what I actually want it to do. Is there a way to turn this off? Also, when editing JSON, if I place a \ at the end of a string before the double quote, and then type a double quote, the editor doesn't actually include the double quote typed (that is, I am expecting there to be two double quotes, but there is still only one), it just moves the cursor to after the original double quote. Can I turn this off too? Cheers, Chris

Dominyque, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 27, 2023 08:36AM UTC

Hi Chris Thanks for reporting this. Are you able to provide a screen recording of this, please? You can send this to support@portswigger.net. I have just tried this on my v2023.12.1; however, I did not see the same functionality you are seeing.

Khanh | Last updated: Apr 10, 2024 07:37AM UTC

I met this problem too. I've looked for the settings to turn it off but didn't see it. The problem happens when I input (at Repeater tab) double quotes, open bracket ",[,{ the editor always adds a closing double quotes, close bracket automatically. I'm using Stable v2024.2.1.3

Dominyque, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 10, 2024 09:59AM UTC

Hi Khanh Are you using the Pretty or Raw views to edit the requests?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.