Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Burp Project file corrupted when I open the existing saved project file

Infosec | Last updated: Jan 22, 2020 04:24AM UTC

Hi, Whenever I try to open an already saved burp project file, it is giving an error every time. The error is as below "The Selected project file appears to be corrupted and cannot be opened. ". Please suggest the solution. I am using the latest version of the burp installed on windows 10 base machine.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 22, 2020 08:21AM UTC

Hi, A couple of quick questions so that we can try and get to the root cause of your issue. Are you trying to save the file on a shared or memory mapped drive? Also, are you shutting down Burp in a graceful manner or is it closing unexpectedly?

Burp User | Last updated: Jan 22, 2020 11:21AM UTC

Hi, I am not using shared or mapped memory drive. I'm saving it on my Desktop. and I am shutting down the burp normally. When I try to open again next time I am facing this issue. The complete error message is as below: "The Selected project file appears to be corrupted and cannot be opened. Burp will attempt to repair the project file. This will create a new project file that can be opened safely and will preserve as much data as possible from the original file. Please select the file for the repaired project. "

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 22, 2020 01:50PM UTC

Hi, Thank you for the clarification. Is this just happening with a single project file in particular or with every project file that you try and open? Are you able to create a new, test project file and see if this behavior is observed in this new file? Additionally, would it be possible to provide us with a copy of the project file to investigate why this might be happening for you?

Burp User | Last updated: Jan 22, 2020 05:16PM UTC

I am able to create a new project file and perform the test also. After closing the burp, when I try to load the same file I am facing this issue. And one of my colleagues also is facing same issue with this version. Sorry, I might not able to provide the current burp file as it contains some confidential information about our organization.

Burp User | Last updated: Jan 22, 2020 05:23PM UTC

And also I observed that sometimes all of a sudden burp process starts using more than 70% of my 16 GB ram and system and burp both will get hang. I have to close the burp process and open it again to work normally.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 23, 2020 10:11AM UTC

Hi Raghav, Are you able to enable performance feedback within Burp (In User options -> Misc -> Performance Feedback) and then recreate the issue that you are seeing. If you could then send us your Debug ID value we can check if Burp is reporting any issues. With regards to your system resource issue, is this occurring when you are performing a particular action (when Burp is scanning a web application) or is it happening randomly?

Raghav | Last updated: Mar 26, 2020 06:04AM UTC

Hi Team, I am facing this issue again and again. As discussed above, Now I can provide the copy oof burp file. Please let me know how to send the burp file, as there is no option to attach here.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 26, 2020 08:20AM UTC

Hi You can send an email to support@portswigger.net. Can you also send us the output from Help -> Diagnostics, please?

Infosec | Last updated: Aug 03, 2020 07:51AM UTC

Hi Team, Sorry for the delayed response. I have sent an email with attached Copy of Corrupted file and Output of Diagnostics file. As the burp project file has been corrupted before I save the Diagnostics ouput, I have repaired the file from repair option and generated the Diagnostics output. Kindly look into the issue, I am facing this issue again and again.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 03, 2020 11:26AM UTC

We've received the files, thanks for sending the information over, we'll take a look and get back to you via email.

Infosec | Last updated: Aug 03, 2020 11:59AM UTC

Thanks Michelle.

Mark | Last updated: Jun 11, 2022 07:18PM UTC

Did this ever get resolved? I am facing he same issue at 2022.3.9

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 13, 2022 09:16AM UTC

Thanks for your message. The likely cause of the problem, in this case, was that the project files were being saved to a location that was being synced with OneDrive or a network location. https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/projects Are you saving your files to a local drive and experiencing this issue?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.