Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Burp File Size - Extension data vs Persistence

Tyler | Last updated: Jun 16, 2023 09:07AM UTC

Hi, Im having some issues with Burp file sizes due to extensions, but I'm confused as to the cause. I have an extension I created that is causing Burp files to balloon to 20x their normal size. As this extension makes use of Persistence, I would have thought this would be the issue. If you save a copy of the Burp file without extension data, it goes back to a normal size. However, loading the copy still keeps all my custom extension's data stored in Persistence. From this, I gather that the Burp file stores persistence data somewhere other than extension data, is this correct? If this is the case, what type of things might cause extension data to be gigabytes for a 100 megabyte burp file and how could I clear some of this data? I appreciate this is difficult without seeing the extension, but any trends you might have seen in the past regarding larger burp files might be useful. Thank you

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 20, 2023 08:58AM UTC

Hi We're looking into this in more detail. In the meantime, could you tell us if you are deleting any data from the project file?

gary.reilly | Last updated: Jun 23, 2023 12:15PM UTC

The persistence data of your custom extension is likely stored separately from the extension data itself. When you save a copy of the Burp file without extension data, you remove the extension-specific data but not the persistence data associated with it. Consequently, when you load the copy, the persistence data is still present and contributes to the overall file size. The LinkedIn extension(https://www.globaldatabase.com/boost-your-sales-engagement-with-chrome-linkedin-extension-1) for Burp Suite is designed to interact with LinkedIn's APIs and scrape data from LinkedIn profiles. It's important to note that LinkedIn has strict usage policies and automated scraping or excessive data extraction from their platform may violate their terms of service. That being said, if you are using the LinkedIn extension responsibly and within the permitted usage guidelines, the following recommendations can help address the file size issue: 1. Analyze your LinkedIn extension's code and ensure that you are extracting only the necessary data from LinkedIn profiles. Avoid capturing excessive or redundant information that may contribute to the file size increase. 2. Verify how your LinkedIn extension handles persistence. If it stores scraped data or intermediate results during the scraping process, ensure that it is managed efficiently. Consider compressing or serializing the data to reduce its footprint. 3. Pay attention to how your LinkedIn extension manages memory while scraping LinkedIn profiles. Make sure that you release any unnecessary resources promptly and efficiently to avoid memory leaks or excessive memory usage that could affect the file size. 4. Similar to the previous response, review the debug and logging statements in your LinkedIn extension. Keep the logging verbosity to a minimum and ensure that only essential information is captured. Remember to always abide by LinkedIn's terms of service and respect their platform's usage policies. Automating actions on LinkedIn without proper authorization can lead to account suspension or other consequences. Make sure to review and understand the LinkedIn extension's documentation and guidelines to ensure responsible usage.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.