Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Burp Embedded Browser non-functional in Kali 2020.3

TrustedComputer | Last updated: Aug 21, 2020 03:17PM UTC

Downloaded a new Kali 2020.3 vmware image and tried to use burp embedded browser. It is not diplayed properly: https://imgur.com/fuudEMH.png' It doesn't matter if I install from APT, install from x64 Linux installer or the use the JAR file. Same results on 2020.8 and 2020.8.1. java -version Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dswing.aatext=true openjdk version "11.0.8" 2020-07-14 OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.8+10-post-Debian-1) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.8+10-post-Debian-1, mixed mode, sharing)

TrustedComputer | Last updated: Aug 21, 2020 03:35PM UTC

Embedded browser health check says, "All checks completed successfully." Console output: Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dswing.aatext=true WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred WARNING: Illegal reflective access by burp.bxl (file:/home/kali/Downloads/burpsuite_community_v2020.8.1.jar) to field javax.swing.JTree.expandedState WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of burp.bxl WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

Tester | Last updated: Aug 21, 2020 06:32PM UTC

Please find my post with workaround solution. https://forum.portswigger.net/thread/hint-how-to-fix-embaded-browser-initialisation-failed-or-unable-to-render-rensponse-on-kali-linux-vm-6357080d

TrustedComputer | Last updated: Aug 21, 2020 11:15PM UTC

Thanks tester, but I think my problem is different from yours. I already tried most of those steps, the only exception being the embedded browser health check first before starting the embedded broswer. This did not make any difference for me. I can tell the embedded browser is "working" based on the HTTP history but it doesn't display properly on the screen and there are no error messages. Are you on a fresh 2020.3 image? It's working fine for me on an updated image that was originally downloaded as 2020.2.

TrustedComputer | Last updated: Aug 22, 2020 12:09AM UTC

Ok, I narrowed the issue down to a video driver problem. With parallels tools installed, I get the error. Without parallels tools installed, I don't have a problem. Also to note, I don't need to run the embedded browser health check. It just works (as long as I'm not using parallels tools in the VM).

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.